Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.8 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on November 9, 2016, at 1:10 pm by Kdonegan91.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

ISBN: 97815245046940

Never Cry Again

by Jim Cole

The First Ten

Because Never Cry Again was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

ashley_claire

The title and cover of this book imply that this is a very emotional story. Most of the time I'm not really in the mood for these types of books so I probably wouldn't choose to read this on my own. The glowing review on OBC promises that this book will be worth the read. The novel appears to be professionally edited and the story flowed very nicely. I liked that the book is told from different points of view. Honestly, my only complaint is that this book seems like it might be a bit depressing. This is a book that I need to be in a very specific mood to read and therefore don't think I'll be continuing at this time.

First Ten review added on February 19, 2017, at 10:22 am by ashley_claire.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

gali

I probably wouldn't have sampled the book on my own, as it isn't a book that I normally gravitate to. The cover is nice, but the blurb isn't very fetching, and there is a big spacing between its paragraphs. The sampled started well, with the stolen cap of the boy, then moving on to his miserable home life. The book seems well written and well edited. I won't buy and read the book as abuse isn't a theme I like to read about, especially when it involves kids.

First Ten review added on February 19, 2017, at 10:27 am by gali.

CrescentMoon

After reading the blurb, I don't think I would pick this book up. It sounds pretty long and an intense read and I have to be in a certain kind of mood to read it. I'm also not much into historical fiction. After reading the first ten pages, I wasn't really hooked so I think I'll pass on reading this one.

First Ten review added on February 19, 2017, at 10:41 am by CrescentMoon.

Sarah_Khan

The title of this novel immediately makes me want to find out more and the cover is pleasing to the eyes. The Online Book Club review paints this book in a good light and made me excited to start reading.

Although the plot is not entirely unique, the author managed to bring out my emotions in just the first ten pages! This book is professionally edited and well-written. Unfortunately, this novel seems like it deals with a lot of sad and difficult things and I am not looking for that kind of book to read right now, but I am sure others will enjoy it.

First Ten review added on February 19, 2017, at 11:46 am by Sarah_Khan.

ZenaLei7

From just reading the first ten pages of the book, the book seems very interesting but I don't think I would buy the book. I'm not really interested in reading historical fiction so I probably will not read the entire book. I did not notice any major grammatical errors either.

First Ten review added on February 19, 2017, at 1:34 pm by ZenaLei7.

jamesabr

The start to this book caught my attention quickly. I enjoyed Drew's story so far. If I were not part of this program, I would have likely sampled it due to the OnlineBookClub review of it. My favorite part of the sample was the scene of Edith as she killed her father. Her turmoil was interesting to read. I will definitely purchase and read this book. There were no typos or grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on February 19, 2017, at 3:21 pm by jamesabr.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

Vermont Reviews

The preview of today's book Never Cry Again by Jim Cole shows the life of Drew and his mother's history that she grew up with an abusive father. Who took her to his bed after his wife passed away giving birth to a still-born child. Edith Simmons had lived a rough life. I found the preview very well written. At this time I will not be adding this book to my reading which is currently overbooked. I would have purchased the book based on reading the preview.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on February 19, 2017, at 5:23 pm by Vermont Reviews.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would have read the book. The cover is amazing and I thought the blurb sounded very interesting. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind. The writing was amazing and several scenes, such as the beginning of Chapter 2, gave me chills. It was professionally edited and I did not read an official review yet.

First Ten review added on February 19, 2017, at 7:30 pm by psychopathycathy.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I would not have read it. I usually read romance or comedy books. Having read the sample, I liked the author's writing style. The characters were introduced well. However, I thought that there were many descriptions. The book seems to be professionally edited. It has a favorable Onlinebookclub review. I like the author's writing style and hence, I think I will read the book further.

First Ten review added on February 19, 2017, at 8:14 pm by AA1495.

James Craft

If I had never sampled this book I would have passed it over because I don't much care for the cover artwork. That being said, the book itself seems intriguing once I opened and checked out the first ten pages. The sample could use slightly better formatting, but I think that in general it seems like a good book. I won't be continuing to read it because it didn't catch my interest but I don't see any major overarching problems with it.

First Ten review added on February 19, 2017, at 10:18 pm by James Craft.

Shelle

This book looked and sounded so sad I wasn't sure I wanted to sample it. The writing is good and the story (so far) seems good too and the little boy is very likable, but it also feels very heavy and sad. Perhaps it's only due to personal reasons, but I need something more light-hearted and happy to read now. But the next time I want to read something weightier, I'll remember this book. The book appeared to be professionally edited and error-free.

First Ten review added on February 20, 2017, at 12:00 am by Shelle.

Gravy

I found no errors, and the writing is well crafted. I like the cover, aside from the poor effects of putting the pictures together. Perhaps a filter or something could make them look more like one picture?
As this is not something that interests me, I would not have looked at this, and I don't plan to continue.

First Ten review added on February 20, 2017, at 4:22 am by Gravy.

Insomniac07

From reading the sample and the review on this website, the book sounds really interesting. I want to know more about this inter-racial friendship story that the blurb suggests. True to its 4-star review, the book reads like a traditionally published novel with no grammatical errors that I could find. However, I don't think I can handle such a heart-wrenching story right now. I'd love to read it one day, but for now, it is staying on my to-read pile.

First Ten review added on February 20, 2017, at 5:53 am by Insomniac07.

bookowlie

The Amazon summary appears to be professionally edited and gave me a good sense of what the book is about. I wasn't interested in reading the book from the summary, since some of the subject matter is too harsh for my taste (the mom entertaining various "uncles," attempted sexual abuse). The sample pages are well-written and have a nice flow. I also liked the switch in perspectives because I gained insight into why the boy's mother turned out the way she did. Although the Official Review is glowing, the beginning parts of the books are too disturbing for my reading tastes.

First Ten review added on February 20, 2017, at 8:25 am by bookowlie.

L_Therese

I thought the premise for this book was very interesting, and it didn't escape my attention that if the author is in his 80s, he might have some firsthand knowledge of the era. However, when I went to read the sample, although it seemed well written, I had a lot of trouble concentrating on it. I'm going to pass on this book today.

First Ten review added on February 20, 2017, at 10:18 am by L_Therese.

ananya92

The book opens with the story of Drew, a rural boy who lives with his mother in a poor part of Arkansas town. His mother prostitutes herself for their survival, and though young, Drew has an inkling of her job and is saddened by that fact. Young Drew is careful with their meagre income, sensitive and does not hold irrational prejudices. The author has hit the target when it comes to expressing the emotions felt by the characters: whether it's Drew's innocent desire to have a normal relationship with his mother, or his mother, Edith's, desire to escape her abusive father. The author's acute understanding of human emotions is very realistic, for example, how Edith's primary instinct when she holds her stillborn sibling is that there won't be another sibling to add to several already there. The writing is superb and the book seems professionally edited from the sample. Based on the sample, which is an absorbing read, this book is worth reading. However, without the sample, just based on description, I would have passed on this one. I haven't come across any official review of the book, but despite its absence, the sample was engaging enough to pique my interest.

First Ten review added on February 20, 2017, at 10:35 am by ananya92.

anneloretrujillo

I probably would have sampled this book based on the OBC review and the time period of the book. I don't usually read historical fiction, but I do tend to like books that are set in the 1930s and 1940s. After reading the first ten pages, I will be buying this book. I really got caught up in the story. I liked that each chapter had the years that it took place. It made the story easy to follow. I also liked the change in perspective of character between chapters. I thought the story was just going to be about Drew, but I enjoyed also reading about his mother's background. The book also seemed to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on February 20, 2017, at 12:57 pm by anneloretrujillo.

hsimone

Everything about this book has piqued my interest. The heartbreaking cover and title, the captivating blurb, the high customer and OBC ratings, and the genre would have all led me to sampling this read. Based on what I read, the book does seem to be professionally edited. I love how the book is in the perspective of Drew, a nearly seven-year-old boy. Also, it is very easy to picture how Drew lives - rather poorly - and already I am sympathizing for him. Overall, I am loving the read and do plan on purchasing the book to finish reading.

First Ten review added on February 20, 2017, at 4:49 pm by hsimone.

Momlovesbooks

The book was reviewed by the OBC and received a perfect 4 star rating. I was concerned that this would be a depressing, emotionally draining book. I read the first few pages and became very interested in the main character, Drew. The author makes him come to life on the pages. I'll be reading the rest to see how his life turns out.

First Ten review added on February 20, 2017, at 5:04 pm by Momlovesbooks.

klbradley

This story sounds like such an inspiring story of a boys transition into manhood. The trials and tribulations that occur seem to be unfathomable, and is the best way to generate a story to captivate. The only reason I'm choosing to pass on this one is because my TBR list has far outgrown what I can achieve.

First Ten review added on February 20, 2017, at 10:44 pm by klbradley.

CataclysmicKnight

This one seemed pretty interesting from the Amazon description, so had I noticed that I would've sampled this book whether it was a book of the day or not. I knew going in that this would be a rough book to start and the first ten pages proved me right - the abuse and attempted rape by one of his "uncles" is already being strongly eluded to and I don't know if I can stomach reading that. While the author does a great job of genuinely describing the poverty and the main character's many "uncles", I really don't think I can read the abuse portion to get to the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on February 21, 2017, at 12:24 am by CataclysmicKnight.

jungkookblog

I think I will be reading this book because the title seems like it would be about a boy who is depressed and takes the courage to do something great. I am going to be reading this book because it's about a child who runs away and face his life. The first ten pages seem very interesting and they show the characters emotion. That's what I liked about it. It seems professionally edited. I did not see a review, and I don't think it would affect my decision.

First Ten review added on February 21, 2017, at 1:13 am by jungkookblog.

Cjgarland89

Although this is an emotional read, I was immediately drawn to it. I do enjoy to read a story of an individual that can come out of a horrible situation. The first ten wasn't too exciting, but for this book I am willing to give it the benefit of the doubt and continue to read it. I didn't see any errors and it seems professionally edited. I will be finishing this book, in major part because of the OBC review that provided great insight into the story and influenced me this was a read I'd enjoy.

First Ten review added on February 21, 2017, at 6:44 am by Cjgarland89.

SandraTWP-BRW

Based on the cover, blurbs, reviews, and genre, I would really have been on the fence about selecting this book. I enjoy stories set in this time period, so that's a plus. The cover communicated more of the time period to me, but wasn't too cookie cutter, like so many eBook covers are now. I wasn't sure about the title - it's sounds romance-novel-ish; however, when I read the blurb, it came together.

That said - the first ten pages were an AMAZING read. I am so impressed that this is the author's first work of fiction. I can see that he has really worked at honing his craft. This is a hard story about people living hard lives. He gave these characters depth. The writing ably communicates the how's and why's of the decisions of the characters. This book reads with a feel of honesty.

I found nothing to criticize - no typographical or editorial errors.

I really debated, but decided that I will not be reading this book at this time. The topic of the book is quite weighty, and right now, I am not looking to delve into that sort of read. However, I will be following Mr. Cole as an author on Amazon, and keeping an eye out for other work from him.

First Ten review added on February 21, 2017, at 6:52 am by SandraTWP-BRW.

MarisaRose

When I first came across "Never Cry Again," I wasn't sure if it was the type of book I would enjoy reading. The setting and themes didn't really pique my interest. But after reading the overwhelmingly positive amazon reviews as well as the official OBC review, I thought I better give this one a try. After sampling the first ten pages for this program, I was not disappointed! My favorite aspect of the beginning sample is the writing style. There is so much emotion poured into the words, I simply could not stop reading. Also, Drew is easily sympathetic. I was worried at first that Drew's character would not speak to me and therefore make it difficult to really get into the story. I was pleasantly surprised by "Never Cry Again." I plan to continue reading this book!

First Ten review added on February 21, 2017, at 7:46 am by MarisaRose.

truebookaddict

Had I not sampled the first ten pages as part of this program, I definitely would have chosen to read this book because historical fiction is my favorite genre. Plus, the story sounded captivating and the reviews were overwhelmingly positive.

I bought the book and intend to read the whole thing eventually. I only had to read three pages of Drew's story to realize that this was a book I wanted to read. After reading the first ten plus pages, I was hooked.

This book seems to be professionally edited. I did not notice typos or grammatical errors.

It's evident that the author knows the time period. I was transported. I could envision Drew's 1930s house, the shabby interior, the old fashioned refrigerator, the tin where he keeps his money. Drew's story starts off precarious and sad right off the bat. I can't wait to find out where the story takes me next.

This book was officially reviewed on OBC.

First Ten review added on February 21, 2017, at 8:43 am by truebookaddict.

Total ~ 42%

This book earned a score of 42%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 42% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Never Cry Again in their shelves?

More than 28 members have Never Cry Again in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

Kdonegan91

4-Star Shelf

texpert

Currently Reading Shelf

IsabooCrawfish35

4-Star Shelf

StKen

Want To Read Shelf

Teach6504

Want To Read Shelf

Clarisa

Want To Read Shelf