Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.4 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on October 25, 2016, at 3:33 pm by Kaylin McFarren.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

ISBN: 9781926681191

Flaherty's Crossing

by Kaylin McFarren

The First Ten

Because Flaherty's Crossing was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Vermont Reviews

Kaylin McFarren a talented author who knows how to show her readers a great story. Today's book of the day Flaherty's Crossing shows the main character Kate Flaherty who is visiting her father towards his last few hours. She is also having problems with Drew. I will not be downloading this book based on my reading schedule being overbooked. I would have bought the book based on the preview.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on February 13, 2017, at 10:25 am by Vermont Reviews.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

ashley_claire

I was conflicted as to whether or not I would like this book as I couldn't get a grasp on what genre it is based on the blurb. However, I remember reading the favorable review for this book on OBC and was ready to give it a shot. The book is well-written and professionally edited, making the first ten pages go by quickly. I like Kate, she seems like a character I would enjoy reading more about. I don't think I know enough about the book from the first ten pages to definitively say that I would read the book, but the review and the various awards that the book boasts pushes it over the edge for me. I will be continuing with this book.

First Ten review added on February 13, 2017, at 10:48 am by ashley_claire.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

gali

I probably wouldn't have sampled the book due to the subject matter. It is difficult for me to read about the death of a parent. The cover is lovely and the blurb intriguing, but the official review was the one that had me hooked. I found the sample well written and it left me wondering about the relationship between the father and the daughter. The first scene, describing the father's imminent death, was heart tugging. I won't buy the book right now, as the death theme of a parent isn't one that I want to tackle right now.

First Ten review added on February 13, 2017, at 11:46 am by gali.

CrescentMoon

After reading the blurb, I really don't think this book is for me. This sounds like a really sad, emotional story and although it may seem heartwarming I just don't get into these kinds of books. After reading the first ten pages, it was hard for me to get through. I don't think I am the target audience for this.

First Ten review added on February 13, 2017, at 1:13 pm by CrescentMoon.

Sarah_Khan

At first glance, the title of the book and the cover art do not seem very unique, so I doubt I would have picked it up by myself.
The online book review spoke well about the novel which made me want to read the sample.
After reading the first ten pages, I can say that this novel is well-written and professionally edited. I liked the little sense of mystery and the emotions that are shown, in just the first few pages. Unfortunately I do not have the time to read this book now, therefore I do not intend to purchase it today.

First Ten review added on February 13, 2017, at 1:34 pm by Sarah_Khan.

James Craft

This one got a four out of four from obc which makes it seem really good, and the cover is interesting. the choice to crop out part of the woman's face, and the tracks are both a sort of neat way to draw the reader in. The review for this book said there were a lot of twists and powerful moments which makes me want to read it. This is one I won't be picking up now, but I'll keep an eye on for the future in class my reading list thins out some and I can make room!

First Ten review added on February 13, 2017, at 4:10 pm by James Craft.

mratdegraff91

The cover of this book sparks curiosity. The short description also immediately drew me in. The OnlineBookClub review with its 4 of 4-star rating gave an excellent summary and review of the book. I decided after sampling the book that this would be a great read. The sample and review are what pushed me to want to continue reading this novel. The book review did not mention any grammatical errors, and I did not observe any in the sample. I love Kate's character and hate that she is dealing with her father's process into death as well as addresses issues with Drew. I am very interested in seeing how this story turns out.

First Ten review added on February 13, 2017, at 7:57 pm by mratdegraff91.

ZenaLei7

After reading the first ten pages, I was hooked. By showing the struggles between her characters, the author is able to make her characters more relatable. Even though I have never been married, I have been in a broken relationship before and I could relate to what Kate was going through. I like being able to relate to characters in the book especially when they are well rounded. I would definitely read the whole book because the author provides enough tension to make the story interesting. Based on what I read, the book seems to be well edited. I also read the official online book club review which helped me to make my decision to buy the book. There is nothing really special with the cover or title of the book and if I were to base my decision on reading the book or not, i would have given the book a pass. However since I read the sample, I will definitely read the whole book.

First Ten review added on February 13, 2017, at 8:26 pm by ZenaLei7.

jamesabr

If I were not a part of this program, I would have likely overlooked it due to the target audience it seemed to attract on Amazon reviews. The Online Book Club review, however, informed me of its depth as a story. From the first ten pages, I understand why it received awards and almost won a category for best mainstream fiction. It seems to have a richness of tone that doesn't overwhelm the reader. I detect a deeply genuineness in McFarren's style that adds depth to what Kate is going through. My favorite part of the sample was Kate's reaction to Doris being in her father's home. I will purchase this book, and I look forward to reading the rest of it. There were no typos or grammatical errors

First Ten review added on February 13, 2017, at 8:41 pm by jamesabr.

Kdonegan91

I absolutely loved the sample and the OBC review has made me even more anxious to read this book. The author already has me so engrossed in this book and I've only read the sample. It's edited well, progresses nicely, and holds my attention. Before reading the sample, I would have passed this book up. Although it has a creative cover, it just didn't stand out to me. However, the sample and OBC review have completely changed my mind. I will be purchasing this book and reading it asap.

First Ten review added on February 14, 2017, at 12:29 am by Kdonegan91.

L_Therese

At first, when I saw this book, I thought it'd be a romance. After I read the review, my conception was corrected, but I was uncertain that it would be for me. The protagonist is in a very different place in her life than I am, and I wasn't sure that I would be part of the ideal readership. When I read the sample, I was very impressed with the quality of writing, but I agreed with myself that the book is not for me. In a few years, I would be in a position to relate more to the protagonist, and I would be more likely to choose to read this book.

First Ten review added on February 14, 2017, at 2:13 am by L_Therese.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would have read the book. I love the text integration of the cover, and I thought the blurb was interesting. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind, I loved the power of the narration and I thought that it was a quick read. It was professionally edited and I did not read the official review.

First Ten review added on February 14, 2017, at 2:56 am by psychopathycathy.

Gravy

I found no errors, and this author's writing seems to be very reliable, and consistent in quality. The cover isn't to my liking. While it would fit well for plain romance, it doesn't really fit here.
This isn't something that I would have looked at, and the sample didn't change my mind. Due to this, I don't plan to continue with it.

First Ten review added on February 14, 2017, at 5:57 am by Gravy.

hsimone

The cover, title, blurb, and genre are all of interest to me. Also, the reviews, including the OBC one, are mainly positive, and I have read another book from this author and really enjoyed it. Therefore, I would have sampled this read even without this program.

Based on what I read, the book does seem to be professionally edited. I think the beginning, where Kate is with her father, who is dying of cancer, is engrossing and well-written. To be honest, I really enjoyed the sample and would love to finish the read. However, I missed the author's free book offering (I'm in the middle of reading another book for the Review Team and therefore wasn't eligible), and do not plan on finishing the read.

First Ten review added on February 14, 2017, at 7:05 am by hsimone.

SandraTWP-BRW

I probably would not have selected this book based on the cover - it’s just not striking enough, feels like so many other chick-flick-style book covers. There was nothing to set it apart. Most of the reviews from other readers weren’t enough, either. There was one that stood out mentioning the story telling. The blurb from the author was more effective as she explained how this fictional story helped her work through a situation in her own life.

That said, I found the story telling in the first ten pages very compelling. THe author’s depictions of the dying father and his hospice nurse were sharp and tangible. The main character was less well depicted, but that, in and of itself, was drawing me in to uncover the layers of her pain and transformation. I plan not only to read this book myself, but to gift it to others.

I noted no typographical or grammar errors.

First Ten review added on February 14, 2017, at 7:14 am by SandraTWP-BRW.

Cjgarland89

At first glance I thought that I would enjoy reading this book. The OBC review really caught my attention because Kate is going through a tough time and she sounds like a great character. After sampling the first ten I was disappointed that I didn't feel connected to the story and just couldn't dive into it. I didn't see any errors in the sample, but I will not be finishing this book.

First Ten review added on February 14, 2017, at 9:38 am by Cjgarland89.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I do not know if I would have read it. Having read and loved another book from the author, I may have chosen to read this book as well. Having read the sample, I liked how the author describes the main character's feelings. The book seems to be professionally edited. It has a favorable Onlinebookclub review. Although I usually read books from romance or comedy genres, since I like this author, I think I will read this book further.

First Ten review added on February 14, 2017, at 10:45 am by AA1495.

Shelle

This book looked interesting and I'm glad I had the opportunity to sample it. The author, Kaylin McFarren, has been popular at OBC and I do like her writing style. This book takes a different approach than her others and I don't think I like it as well. Perhaps when I finished her other books I'll move to this one, but the sample I read didn't push it to the top of my list. The book appears to be professionally edited and error-free.

First Ten review added on February 14, 2017, at 1:42 pm by Shelle.

CataclysmicKnight

The cover of this book made me think of a romance novel initially, and since I'm typically not a fan of romance novels I wouldn't have looked into this one if it wasn't a book of the day. The Amazon description was quite a surprise though, and so was the beginning of the book. I'm really intrigued by what exactly her father confessed to, it's interesting to see her mind battle between pity and hatred. There's also a lot of potential for more interesting stuff to come! However, at just under 275 pages it's a little long for me to dive into any further.

First Ten review added on February 14, 2017, at 11:20 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

anneloretrujillo

I might have sampled this book based on the title, cover, genre and OBC review. After reading the first ten pages, I won't be finishing this book. I thought the description was really good. However, the story itself isn't really for me. It did seem to be professionally edited. It just isn't the book for me.

First Ten review added on February 14, 2017, at 11:31 pm by anneloretrujillo.

jungkookblog

I think I will be reading this book because of the plot. It seems very interesting along with many twists. Plus, the genre is fantasy, and I enjoy fantasy book quite a lot. I am going to be reading the whole book because the first ten pages caught my attention. It had a lot of detail and it gave off a mysterious feeling. It seems like it was professionally edited. I did not see a review, and I don't think it would affect my decision.

First Ten review added on February 15, 2017, at 1:09 am by jungkookblog.

chocomeiske

This is not the kind of book that would interest me judging from the cover. The sample was quite interesting and emotional as it starts off with Kate visiting her dad in a care facility who is hardly lucid and seems to be slipping away.
This book appears to be well-written and edited.

First Ten review added on February 15, 2017, at 2:31 am by chocomeiske.

Rachaelamb1

The cover is beautiful. I was not interested in reading this until I read the OBC review for it. The sample captured my attention even more and I am intrigued to find out what happens next. However, I have too many books to read right now so I won't be buying this one today. I will out put on my to-read list. It also seems professionally edited.

First Ten review added on February 15, 2017, at 6:50 am by Rachaelamb1.

MarisaRose

Prior to sampling "Flaherty's Crossing" as part of this program, I didn't think it was the type of book I would usually choose to read. After reading the blurb and some of the reviews, it didn't seem like the content of the novel was anything that really interested me. My favorite part about the sample was the writing. The book has clearly been professionally edited and the story read like it was written by a professional as well. However, my opinion of the content didn't really change much after reading the sample. I don't think this book is really my cup of tea. I can see why this story would appeal to many people; it seems filled with family drama and self discovery, but I wasn't that interested to begin with and the sample didn't really entice me. I will not be purchasing and finishing this book.

First Ten review added on February 15, 2017, at 6:51 am by MarisaRose.

truebookaddict

Had I not sampled the first ten pages as part of this program, I probably would not have chosen to read this as romance is not a genre I typically read.

I will not buy and read the whole book. The price is above my eBook spending limit, and since it's not a genre I usually read, I will not buy it.

The book seems to be professionally edited. I did not notice typos or grammatical errors.

I have to say that McFarren's writing about Kate's father's terminal illness is very realistic, albeit sad. The feelings Kate is experiencing make one intrigued to know why she has such resentment toward her dying father. The first ten pages definitely would make someone want to keep reading.

This book was officially reviewed on OBC.

First Ten review added on February 15, 2017, at 7:41 am by truebookaddict.

Total ~ 36%

This book earned a score of 36%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 36% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Flaherty's Crossing in their shelves?

More than 28 members have Flaherty's Crossing in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

ilovebooks2

Want To Read Shelf

TrishaAnn92

Want To Read Shelf

V_bansal2912

Want To Read Shelf

vdudek

Want To Read Shelf

hyperashley

Want To Read Shelf

bookowlie

4-Star Shelf