Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.7 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on October 13, 2016, at 10:50 am by NadineTimes10.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

Cancer, Faith & Butterflies: How do you believe when your world falls apart

by Johnny M. Sanchez

The First Ten

Because Cancer, Faith & Butterflies was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

gali

I wouldn't have sampled the book on my own, as it isn't my preferable genre. The cover is appealing and the blurb concise and informative. The beginning pages, the hospital scene especially, were very touching and reminded me of things I prefer to forget. There was an overuse of Cap, just as the official reviewer said, but I didn't notice any major errors. I certainly could relate to the tale. However, I won't read the book as its theme is too difficult for me to handle. Also, inspirational, religious-themed books aren't really my cup of tea.

First Ten review added on March 19, 2017, at 10:56 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Scerakor

I very rarely read romance/drama/faith type novels and therefore, were it not for the first ten program, I would not have chosen to read a sample of the book or buys it. The description of the book, the blurb, and the reviews would have done nothing to pull me into a genre that I usually don't read. Solely for that reason will I still not buy this book after reading the sample. I have no qualms with the writing style, editing, grammar; the book seems extremely well edited and written. Were I a main consumer of this genre, after reading the sample, I could see myself being sucked into the story line and likely to buy it. I was extremely impressed with how Johnny Sanchez was able to, within only ten pages, pull us so deeply into the plight of Joey and Brooke and almost get an understanding of the pain they are going through. I did not see an official review on OBC of this title, but the lack of a review did not affect my decision in any way.

First Ten review added on March 19, 2017, at 11:02 am by Scerakor.

ashley_claire

I typically don't enjoy inspirational fiction and this is not a book I would be drawn to. I do like the cover, but having the word cancer in the title turns me off. The amount of errors that the official review talks about being in the book is also a point out of this book's favor. I don't mind an error here or there in a book, but books that are riddled with errors are painful for me to try to get through. Reading the first ten pages did change my mind a little bit. I liked the way it was written enough that if this was a genre I enjoyed, I might read the whole book. But i don't enjoy books where the main plot point is the characters questioning their faith. I won't be reading this book.

First Ten review added on March 19, 2017, at 11:22 am by ashley_claire.

bookowlie

The cover is eye-catching, but the picture seems more like an erotic romance novel than an inspirational story about someone who has cancer. The summary blurb appears to be professional edited and gives a good flavor of the plot. I found the beginning pages to be well-written, but the writing is a little long-winded. I also was put off by the mention of errors and past/present tense issues in the Official Reveiw. In general, I don't care for overly religious or terminal illness themes in books so I am not interested in reading further.

First Ten review added on March 19, 2017, at 11:34 am by bookowlie.

Sarah_Khan

At first glance, I thought the cover and title of this book were both cute. The blurb is adequately written. After reading the first few pages, this novel seems professionally edited and well-written. The author was able to bring out my emotions in just a few short pages. Unfortunately, this book seems too sad for my taste which is why I do not intend to read the rest.

First Ten review added on March 19, 2017, at 12:17 pm by Sarah_Khan.

James Craft

Not my type of story, but certainly looks to be a very entertaining read. I think this one looks like a good read and has a compelling cover, but the opening coincided with my opinion that it wouldn't be my type of story. The opening was interesting and well-formed, but it just didn't hook me because it isn't the type of story I like to read. All in all, I think this could work very well for a lot of readers, I'm just not one of them. Congratulations on being BOTD and with having a good book.

First Ten review added on March 19, 2017, at 12:30 pm by James Craft.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it. I usually read pure romance books. Having read the sample, I liked the author's writing style. The thoughts of the characters were described well. I did not come across any obvious grammatical errors in the sample. The book has a favorable onlinebookclub review. The book seems heartbreaking and hence, I do not think I will read it further.

First Ten review added on March 19, 2017, at 12:55 pm by AA1495.

CataclysmicKnight

Cancer is absolutely one of the worst things we face these days, so I figured this would be a tough book to read as soon as I saw the cover. From the first ten pages I can definitely say I was right - the author is very adept at making me feel the main character's pain as he cares for his wife in the hospital. Despite being written so well, and with a promise of things not always being so dreary, I don't think I'll be finishing this one as it's just so emotionally draining to read.

First Ten review added on March 19, 2017, at 1:22 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

CrescentMoon

After reading the blurb, I don't think I can read this. It sounds like such a tear jerker and although I do like to read a heart felt emotional story once in awhile, this sounds like too much for me right now. After reading the first ten pages though I definitely would recommend this book to people interested in this kind of read. I have to be really invested when reading something like this.

First Ten review added on March 19, 2017, at 1:58 pm by CrescentMoon.

chocomeiske

Such a pretty cover and the subject is such a great fear of mine that I would shy away from reading this if not for this program. I read the sample and it was so emotional. I could feel this man's pain watching his wife go through such an ordeal. I can't recall any editing issues.

First Ten review added on March 19, 2017, at 6:28 pm by chocomeiske.

Vermont Reviews

Cancer, Faith & Butterflies by Johnny M. Sanchez was one that I knew I would have to read the full story before I even read the preview. Very well done. Full of emotional content. I loved the butterfly story. I have added it to my 2017 reading list.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on March 19, 2017, at 8:38 pm by Vermont Reviews.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

mratdegraff91

This book has a beautiful cover. It speaks of love. The summary gives a great depiction of what is within the book. What interested me the most was the OnlineBookClub review and sampling the book. It seems like a touching story and the first couple of pages had me wanting to cry. I did not observe any errors in the sample but the review mentions a few errors within the novel. Although this seems like an excellent read this novel just isn't for me. I don't do well with books that immediately start out with me in tears.

First Ten review added on March 19, 2017, at 10:44 pm by mratdegraff91.

anneloretrujillo

I would have sampled this book without this program based on the blurb, OBC review, cover, title and genre. After reading the first ten pages, I won't be finishing this book. The biggest problem I had was that the paragraphs were kind of long winded. I had a hard time keeping my place, which doesn't usually happen when I'm reading. I think the story is great, but the style isn't really for me. It did seem to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on March 19, 2017, at 11:31 pm by anneloretrujillo.

Kdonegan91

The cover did not really stand out to me because it resembles a generic romance novel. However, the title is what caught my attention. After reading the sample and the OBC review, I am most certainly buying this book. I love the author's style of writing. It just pulled me in and it flows so naturally. I can relate to Joe's perspective at times in my life but I also can relate to Brooke's faith in other points in my life. Even though this book is definitely a tear-jerker (Jimmy), I also get positive and inspiring vibes from Brooke. I can't wait to see what happens next!

First Ten review added on March 20, 2017, at 1:13 am by Kdonegan91.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would have read the book. The cover is gorgeous and the premise is interesting - I look forward to seeing how the author tackles the topic. After reading the sample I have not changed my mind. I loved how we saw the main character's emotional conflict right away, and I want to know more. The official review made me want to read the book less because grammatical errors often make it difficult for me to get through a book, but I would still like to continue.

First Ten review added on March 20, 2017, at 1:40 am by psychopathycathy.

ananya92

From the first page, it is evident that this book is going to be a roller-coaster of emotions, primarily since its subject matter is cancer. There is an authentic feel to this fictitious tale, probably since its written in first person and also due to the author's straight-from-the-heart treatment of the plot. While there are a few grammatical errors, on the whole the book seems to be edited beforehand. Along with the struggle against cancer, the other issue in this book is faith in God, or Jesus. Though the book is pretty engaging, I found it too heavy with emotions, in fact at one point I felt it difficult to continue beyond Jimmy's story (the first chapter). This is not a criticism; but I wouldn't read this one because its too emotionally wearisome for me.

First Ten review added on March 20, 2017, at 2:58 am by ananya92.

Gravy

I agree with the official reviewer, that this could use an edit. The cover fits nicely. It doesn't fall into my normal reading tastes, so I would not have looked at this. The story sounds interesting enough, just not for me. I won't be reading this.

First Ten review added on March 20, 2017, at 6:29 am by Gravy.

MarisaRose

I previously read and reviewed this book. I was initially drawn to the book because of the blurb and positive reviews on amazon. I feel the cover is a bit typical of a romance novel and this, although focused on relationships, is not really a romance. I found the overall story of Joe and Brooke and their daughter Sara to be compelling. There were many interesting twists and turns throughout the story. However, the writing really bothered me. The first person narrative was written in a very amateurish manner. The majority of the writing is "I" statements, "I saw" "I said" "I felt" etc. and this became very tedious to read. Further, there were quite a few technical errors through out the narrative. Though the story was great, I have a hard time recommending this to others based on the writing alone.

First Ten review added on March 20, 2017, at 8:24 am by MarisaRose.

SandraTWP-BRW

I think this book has a good cover, but I will say it reminds me of a romance novel, and that's not a favorite genre of mine. The blurb might be taken as a premise for a romance novel as well. For those reasons, I personally would not likely have picked up this book. I did take note of the complimentary reviews.

Having read the excerpt: Oh, my. This book is a tear jerker, just in the first few pages. The author does a masterful job of bringing the reader into the reality of those facing death after a prolonged illness. Our family recently went through two hospital stays, and I noted how well the author depicted the actions and behavior of the hospital staff.

Although the love between the main character and his wife is a prominent theme, I would not characterize this novel in the romance genre, so I'm not sure the cover does the book justice.

I noticed no errors in the excerpt I read.

I cannot honestly say I will be finishing this book right now. It's very, very good, but I think it's also going to be a hard (emotionally) read, and I'm not up for that right now.

First Ten review added on March 20, 2017, at 3:32 pm by SandraTWP-BRW.

jamesabr

This was a vividly put together book. While reading it, I could picture Jimmy and Sara as individual characters based on the first ten pages. If I were not a part of the First Ten Program, I would have likely overlooked this book due to the religious undertones of the title. i am not a religious person, so despite the genuinely well-paced exposition and positive Online Book Club review, I will not purchase or read the book. There were no typos or grammatical errors in the book.

First Ten review added on March 20, 2017, at 4:04 pm by jamesabr.

hsimone

The cover has pretty colors, but the intimacy turns me a bit off. The title is nice, and the reviews are fairly positive. I do worry about the amount of errors that the OBC reviewer mentions; I tend to become frustrated in a read when several errors occur. Also, I don't read many inspirational reads, and this one seems rather sad. Therefore, without this program, I would not have sampled this read.

Based on what I read, the book does seem to be professionally edited. I feel the author really captures the protagonist's feelings toward his wife being sick in the hospital. Also, he captures the love they have for one another with the simple gesture of Brooke capturing her husband's tear as she lies weak in a hospital bed. However, I feel this might be a bit too emotional for me. I try not to think about the time when I can't see my husband anymore, and I think I would become too sad reading this. This does speak great volumes of the author's ability to write about emotions. But, because of the sadness, I do not plan on buying the book today.

First Ten review added on March 20, 2017, at 7:19 pm by hsimone.

L_Therese

This book's title and cover seemed very on-the-nose to me, and it didn't exactly encourage me to read it. When I read the OBC review, there was a lot of praise, but the review also talked about a significant number of errors, which would be a major factor in my eventual decision. As I read the first ten pages, I didn't notice the many errors that I was expecting, but I also wasn't entirely enthralled. Passages like Joe's long story to tell someone that he's a general contractor seemed like filler to me. I don't plan to finish the book.

First Ten review added on March 20, 2017, at 10:28 pm by L_Therese.

jungkookblog

I don't think I will be reading this book because the genre of romance is not what I like to read. I will not be reading this book because it seems very depressing and I want to read more books that make me excited about the plot. It seems professionally edited. I did not see any review, and I don't think that would affect my decision.

First Ten review added on March 21, 2017, at 1:20 am by jungkookblog.

klbradley

Just by the cover and the title, this is not a book I would have chosen to read on my own. I'm not much for reading really sad stories, and finding out someone you love has cancer sounds like it would dampen my early Spring mood. I'm going to pass for now, but I hope the author had great achievement here!

First Ten review added on March 21, 2017, at 6:32 am by klbradley.

Cjgarland89

While I do like the cover of this book and the very sweet relationships within, I don't particularly enjoy reading very emotional stories. I do think the author did a great job in the sample, it tugged mt heart strings immediately and got my attention. Unfortunately I am not in a place to enjoy this kind of read.

First Ten review added on March 21, 2017, at 6:44 am by Cjgarland89.

Total ~ 12%

This book earned a score of 12%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 12% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Cancer, Faith & Butterflies in their shelves?

More than 28 members have Cancer, Faith & Butterflies in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

ilovebooks2

Want To Read Shelf

Mom14043

Want To Read Shelf

NadineTimes10

3-Star Shelf

Elena_D

Want To Read Shelf

mindyg123

Want To Read Shelf

Janetleighgreen

Want To Read Shelf