Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.7 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on October 10, 2016, at 3:15 pm by bookowlie.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

Finding Ruth

by Cynthia Hamilton

The First Ten

Because Finding Ruth was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Rachel1019

The cover picture of this book is beautiful. Ruth looks truly happy in this picture and it makes a potential reader want to read about this happy person. The title is pretty typical of this type of a book and doesn't seem to be particularly attention grabbing. After reading a short blurb of this book on Amazon and the review on OBC, I was extremely hesitant to read this book. It is about a woman's journey through her bad relationships and bad choices, which is not something that I would like to read. I do like how the book reads like a narrative and less like a biography. But despite being well written, I do not find the summary of the story interesting enough to read further.

First Ten review added on December 23, 2016, at 10:19 am by Rachel1019.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Momlovesbooks

I had mixed feelings about this book after reading the OBC review. The review was good and made the story seem intriguing, but the overall impression of the main character was not entirely positive. I downloaded the book and began reading the first few pages. I became engrossed in the story and didn't want to stop. It may not have as much insight into Alzheimer's as I was expecting, but the story seems interesting. I'll be reading the rest of this one to see how Ruth's life choices affected her future.

First Ten review added on December 23, 2016, at 11:53 am by Momlovesbooks.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

Vermont Reviews

After reading the preview today of Finding Ruth by Cynthia Hamilton I decided to download the book. Most of the reviews from readers were positive 4 or 5 stars. That says a lot about the author. Being that the book is about the mother of the author, it makes it that much more interesting. The story is well written and I must add my praise. Anytime we can leave a legacy for our children and grandchildren we are doing a favor for our relatives. I love reading about the lives of others. Currently I am working on writing the life story of a friend who is 95 years old. Congratulations on being book of the day. Thanks ever so very much for making the book free for us here on the onlinebookclub.
Much appreciated.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on December 23, 2016, at 12:17 pm by Vermont Reviews.

Sarah_Khan

If I'm being totally honest, the title, the cover art, and the blurb just seemed average to me and I have seen a lot of other books that share the same sort of plot.
But after reading the first few pages and the prologue, I was hooked! The author does a great job of bringing out emotion from the reader. The writing is great yet simple and the book seems professionally edited. I'm glad this novel is the BOTD because otherwise I do not think I would have picked this up and decided to read it all.

First Ten review added on December 23, 2016, at 12:32 pm by Sarah_Khan.

CrescentMoon

After reading the blurb, I would not pick this book up mostly because it is non-fiction which I do not typically read. After reading the first ten pages, I don't think I will continue reading the rest. Ruth seems to be a very unsympathetic character in my eyes and I just don't think I am the target audience for this book. I will not be reading the rest.

First Ten review added on December 23, 2016, at 3:18 pm by CrescentMoon.

gali

I wouldn't have sampled the book without the program as it isn't a book that I normally gravitate to. Reading the sample and the official review didn't change my mind. The cover is lovely, but the blurb is a bit misleading. The official review clarified the plot much better. I liked the style of the writing, but I wasn't really drawn into the book. Also, Ruth isn't a character I can connect with, so I am not interested in reading her story. I won't read the balance of the book due to the reasons stated above.

First Ten review added on December 23, 2016, at 4:33 pm by gali.

L_Therese

The cover for this book was highly appealing,with the vintage photo of a woman (my guess would be Ruth) smiling so widely. However, when I read the review, I was much more skeptical about the likelihood of enjoying this book. The reviewer shared both criticism and praise, but the critiques, especially as regards the plotline and novel-like presentation, rang true with me. As I read the first ten pages, I was not anticipating reading the rest of the book. Those first pages would have had to knock my socks off. Since my socks are still firmly on my feet, even though the first ten pages made a pretty okay beginning, I am not planning to finish the book.

First Ten review added on December 23, 2016, at 8:34 pm by L_Therese.

MarisaRose

The blurb for Finding Ruth coupled with the great reviews are all appealing to me. Prior to reading the first ten pages I would have considered at least sampling this book. After reading the first ten pages I note that the book appears to be well written and relatively free of errors. The story seems appealing. Having known someone suffering from Alzheimers, this topic particularly interests me. I'm not sure how I feel about Ruth yet, I guess I would have to read a little more to decide how I feel about her. After reading the official OBC review and learning that the book only mildly touches on the subject of Alzheimers, I was a little disappointed. I don't think I will continue reading this book because of that. The blurb really led me to believe this book would be more focused o the topic of dealing with a family member experiencing the disease.

First Ten review added on December 23, 2016, at 9:13 pm by MarisaRose.

Kdonegan91

The cover creates a sense of love and happiness. Also, the title sparks my interest. After reading the first ten pages, I am compelled to read more. The OBC review is well-written and insightful. The first ten pages progressed well and kept my attention. I can't wait to read more.

First Ten review added on December 23, 2016, at 10:51 pm by Kdonegan91.

CataclysmicKnight

I was interested in a reflection of the life of Ruth who suffered from Alzheimer's. The introduction was a heck of a way to being a reader in with the tension and drama, and then the first chapter kicked off actually telling the story from Ruth's point of view, which was really cool! The writing is fantastic as well, and the fact it was free makes it really hard to say no to. It may not be high on my list of books to read, but I'm sure I'll finish it sometime.

First Ten review added on December 24, 2016, at 12:05 am by CataclysmicKnight.

Gravy

I would have looked at this book. I like the cover. It fits nicely.
There were a few errors, but nothing that would make me think it hadn't been professionally edited. I like the biographical aspect of this, but can't say I'm a fan of the fiction part of it.
If this were strictly biographical I'd likely be more interested. I don't plan to continue with this.

First Ten review added on December 24, 2016, at 1:08 am by Gravy.

chocomeiske

I don't particularly like this cover so I would not have been tempted to pick up this book if not for this program.
After reading the first ten pages I can conclude that I won't be reading the rest of this book. I find the subject matter to be useful but it's just not my cup of tea. I like that it showcases some ofthe effects of Alzheimers both on the person who it affects and those who hold them dear. I found the writing to be clear and concise and emotional. I didn't encounter any obvious editing issues.

First Ten review added on December 24, 2016, at 5:24 am by chocomeiske.

jamesabr

The first ten pages were fluent in sentence structure and language. I was going to read the book in my spare time due to the review of it that I read on OnlineBookClub.org and my previous sampling of the first few pages. However, as I continued to read to the last of the ten pages, I realized that the multiple perspectives I read allowed me to become engaged with the events. The image of children dodging and later cleaning up plates that were being thrown by their angry mother was a lively start that I won't forget, and caused me to wonder what prompted the mother to become so enraged. I will buy and read the whole book, because from what I have read of it so far, the author manages to link multiple perspectives together excellently despite having gleaned the information from someone with Alzheimers. It was edited well, but there was a typo on the ninth page: "to" should replace "too" in one sentence. What I like most about what I read was the steady inclusion of exposition in the Prologue and the first chapter. Explaining Ruth's awkwardness in light of her lofty social positions allowed me to envision her character, making her appear more real as a person to me. I can tell that this will be a very good memoir.

First Ten review added on December 24, 2016, at 3:06 pm by jamesabr.

hsimone

I think the cover is cute and the title is intriguing. The ratings are fairly high, and the OBC one was fairly positive. Also, I do like a good memoir. Therefore, I might have sampled this read on my own.

Based on what I read, this book does seem to be professionally edited. I like the writing flow of the author; it's an easy-to-read type of book. However, due to some of the comments made about this book discussing relationship issues, I am uninterested in finishing this read.

First Ten review added on December 24, 2016, at 4:37 pm by hsimone.

psychopathycathy

If I had not sampled this book, I would not have read it. The blurb seemed mildly interesting, but not quite like the genres I usually read. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind. I felt a little bored, although the writing was straightforward and understandable. It seemed professionally edited. I read the official review but it did not affect my decision.

First Ten review added on December 24, 2016, at 5:39 pm by psychopathycathy.

klbradley

Although I'm not generally a fan of reading memiors, the opening story for this one was truly captivating. Watching her own mother destroy the dinnerware in their home out of a fit of unknown rage was something unexpected, yet makes me want to find out more. Editing seems to be done well so far.

First Ten review added on December 24, 2016, at 10:59 pm by klbradley.

Cjgarland89

At first glance I wasn't sure if this was a book I would want to read. The cover makes it clear it's nonfiction, but it wasn't until I read the OBC review and description that I realized it was the story of Ruth and her life before Alzheimer's and what led up to it. My grandmother suffered from this disease and it was hard to see her go so quickly. I really connected with this book immediately and will be finishing the entire thing. I feel for Ruth and the author and really appreciate these types of stories.

First Ten review added on December 24, 2016, at 11:44 pm by Cjgarland89.

anneloretrujillo

I would not have sampled this book based on the title and the genre. I'm not a big fan of non-fiction. I probably wouldn't have sampled it on the blurb, either. The OBC review, however, did make it seem a little more interesting. After reading the first ten pages, I will be finishing this book. I was drawn in by the anecdote in the prologue. After that, I couldn't stop reading. I read past the first ten pages without even noticing. I liked the style of writing. The book also seemed to be professionally edited, which is a plus.

First Ten review added on December 25, 2016, at 12:54 am by anneloretrujillo.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it. While the plot sounded unique, it isn't something I generally read. Having read the sample, I liked the author's writing style. I liked how the characters' thoughts and feelings were expressed. However, I didn't like the pace at which the plot was moving in the sample. Further, I found a few minor grammatical errors. The book has a favorable Onlinebookclub review. While I will not be reading the book further now, I might read it in the future.

First Ten review added on December 25, 2016, at 1:26 am by AA1495.

jungkookblog

I don't think i would've read this book based on the cover and title because I'm not into books like these. I don't think i will read this book because the plot is just not my cup of tea. It seems professionally edited. I liked the details and the background info it gave, but I think there is too much information in here. I did not see a review, and it has not affected my decision.

First Ten review added on December 25, 2016, at 3:22 am by jungkookblog.

truebookaddict

While I don't normally read many memoir type books, I was intrigued by this one. I was reminded of "Angela's Ashes" or "It's All Over But The Shoutin," two books I really enjoyed. For that reason, I would have chosen to sample/read this one outside of this program.

This book was free so I did download it and I plan to read the whole book eventually. I really enjoyed reading the first ten pages.

The book seems to be professionally edited. I did not notice typos or grammatical errors.

As I said, I really enjoyed reading the first ten pages. I am a firm believer that family and family memories are very important. I still love to hear my parents and my one living grandmother tell stories from their lives in the past. The prologue reminded me of memories. I also liked how the first chapter (and apprently the whole book, according to the OBC review) reads like a novel from Ruth's point of view. I think it really lets us see how Ruth was...what her inner thoughts were, etc.

This book was officially reviewed on OBC.

First Ten review added on December 25, 2016, at 4:27 am by truebookaddict.

Total ~ 48%

This book earned a score of 48%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 48% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Finding Ruth in their shelves?

More than 28 members have Finding Ruth in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

ilovebooks2

Want To Read Shelf

1_2_5_am

Want To Read Shelf

bookowlie

3-Star Shelf

karatheredhead

Want To Read Shelf

Strangerthanfiction

Want To Read Shelf

Elena_D

Want To Read Shelf