Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.3 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on October 10, 2016, at 11:32 am by amybo82.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

A Gathering of Warriors

by George Vigileos

The First Ten

Because A Gathering of Warriors was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Vermont Reviews

I liked the preview very much. I loved the story of the ant and the pea. I have added the book to my reading list for 2017. Great story plot. This was a great pick for book of the day. Cover art is great.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on February 24, 2017, at 10:21 am by Vermont Reviews.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

gali

I wouldn't have sampled the book based on the cover, as it isn't very appealing. Also, I am not a fan of Paulo Coelho, so wouldn't be interested in this one. The blurb is rather plain, but the official review made me curious about the book. I didn't see any major errors, but found the pace of the book too slow for my taste. The journey of Sparrow Hawk to the wheel and all that followed failed to grab me. I won't read the balance of the book as spiritual read isn't my cup of tea. Also, the content does not interest me.

First Ten review added on February 24, 2017, at 10:31 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

SandraTWP-BRW

Based on the cover and title of this book, I would not be drawn in to read it. The inset image on the cover looks very childish to me - something I'd associate more with a Noah's Ark type story than a mystical spiritual tale. The blurb, however, is far more intriguing. I am generally interested in self-help and self-realization type books, and the fact that this one is presented as a story is very attractive. I also enjoy different mythologies, and the mix of cultures mentioned makes me hope for that. The length of the book is about in the middle - not too long, so not that big a commitment time-wise.

However, after reading the first ten pages, I will not be finishing the book. I found the story to switch back and forth from a few cleverly stated comments that seemed in self-conflict to others that simply felt contrived. The descriptions of Sparrow Hawk's experiences are rich, and enjoyable in and of themselves. But reading the ten pages was too much "work" without enough "payoff" for me to feel drawn to read the rest of the book.

The book appeared, in this section, to be well edited.

First Ten review added on February 24, 2017, at 11:18 am by SandraTWP-BRW.

ashley_claire

This is definitely a book I would not read if it weren't for giving the first ten pages a try. I'm not a fan of the cover and the blurb on Amazon didn't really clarify what the book was about. Luckily the OBC review did a great job describing the book. I enjoyed when Grandfather was telling a story, this part of the book flowed the most naturally to me. But I found the pages before that were bogged down with cumbersome details. Reading the first ten pages did not change my mind about reading inspirational books. I won't be continuing with the rest of this book.

First Ten review added on February 24, 2017, at 12:11 pm by ashley_claire.

MarisaRose

When I first heard about "A Gathering of Warriors" I was intrigued by the premise. Based on the book blurb and the official OBC review, the story appears to have an inspirational message portrayed through a unique story. After sampling the first ten pages for this program, I was immediately drawn in by the beautiful imagery conveyed in the writing style. However, the narrative felt a little to ambiguous and therefore, difficult to interpret. Though there were certainly aspects about the writing I enjoyed in this book, I couldn't get into the story and overall message. I did not notice any obvious grammatical errors in the beginning sample. I will not continue to read this book.

First Ten review added on February 24, 2017, at 12:15 pm by MarisaRose.

Sarah_Khan

At first glance, the cover art of this book does not appeal to me but the title sounds interesting. I felt like the blurb should have gave more information concerning the plot, since I still did not know what to expect.
After reading the first ten pages, this book seems professionally edited and well-written. I am still not sure what this story is about and it did not catch my interest, therefore I do not intend to read the rest of this novel.

First Ten review added on February 24, 2017, at 12:33 pm by Sarah_Khan.

ZenaLei7

I am not usually interested in these types of books, so I won't read the rest of the book. The sample was interesting but it was not enough to get me to read the entire book. I did notice a few minor grammatical mistakes too.

First Ten review added on February 24, 2017, at 12:47 pm by ZenaLei7.

James Craft

The covering for this book is fascinating though in a strange way. The words are a little bit small and the pictures are good, but it is confusing trying to figure out exactly what is supposed to be depicted. It got a 3 star review on OBC, which is good, but the book didn't excite me when I viewed it on amazon and checked it all out. I don't think I will continue reading this book after those first ten pages.

First Ten review added on February 24, 2017, at 1:18 pm by James Craft.

CrescentMoon

After reading the blurb, I don't think I would pick this book up. I'm not much into spiritual or religious reads. After reading the first ten pages, I don't think I will continue the rest. This book definitely sounds very philosophical and I think people who like this genre would like this book but it's not for me.

First Ten review added on February 24, 2017, at 1:32 pm by CrescentMoon.

hsimone

The title is very grabbing, but the cover's two images are confusing. Neither the genre is to my liking nor is the blurb. There are very few reviews, and while the OBC is positive, I do not like the idea of being overwhelmed while I'm reading. It seems like with this one I would feel overwhelmed. Therefore, I would not have sampled this read without this program.

Based on what I read, the book could use another round of editing. For instance, there is an instance where 'had' was used twice, such as, 'had had' and it didn't fit in with the sentence. I like the mystery the author portrays toward the beginning - who is Sparrow Hawk and where is she? Where is she going? However, I am not really feeling any emotion toward Sparrow Hawk and therefore, I believe my interest would begin to peter out. Overall, I do not plan on finishing this read.

First Ten review added on February 24, 2017, at 3:45 pm by hsimone.

jamesabr

This book's symbolism and characters are fascinating so far. The first chapter, the Medicine Wheel, was the most fascinating part because it managed to become philosophical in its symbolism. If I were not a part of this program, I would have likely overlooked this book because of the cover art. At first, it appeared as though it were a children's fantasy book, but as I read the sample, I realized that it was a philosophical piece. I will buy and read the rest of this book. There were no grammatical errors or typos.

First Ten review added on February 24, 2017, at 4:07 pm by jamesabr.

Momlovesbooks

This book has an eye-catching cover. The OBC review was great. I wasn't sure this would be my cup of tea, though. After reading the first few pages, I knew it wasn't for me. However, the author uses wonderful descriptions and has a poetic writing style. This book will be a good read for those who like this type of story.

First Ten review added on February 24, 2017, at 4:51 pm by Momlovesbooks.

Shelle

I really wasn't sure what to expect and was glad I had the opportunity to sample this book. This book's opening feels very ethereal and light, like it's not really happening and more like a dream. I kept wondering what was real and what was not and perhaps that was the point. But I don't think it's for me. Sci-fi and fantasy aren't typically my go-to choices. The book appears to be professionally edited and error-free.

First Ten review added on February 24, 2017, at 5:48 pm by Shelle.

Bfrisco

I would not have looked more into this book if not for it being the book of the day. The title is interesting, but the cover is not eye catching to me. The description also would not have caught my attention.
I would not be interested in reading more of this book, because it's a genre that I do not enjoy. The review was interesting enough to catch my attention, but it wasn't enough to convince me to read it.
The book seemed professionally edited to me.
I think the book seemed to incorporate the culture appropriately, and I liked the beginning description. I thought the explanation behind the cultural terms, such as using "grandfather", was unnecessary. The reader could have inferred from context clues. I also felt like the writing style could have benefited from some more complex sentences to mix up the flow a bit.

First Ten review added on February 24, 2017, at 6:06 pm by Bfrisco.

Kdonegan91

Although I enjoy inspirational and spiritual books, this one just didn't spark my interest. The sample was hard to finish. The author almost used too many details in describing the land and characters. It takes away from the plot. Initially, I was intrigued by this book by just looking at the cover and title. However, the sample was disappointing. I will not be buying this book.

First Ten review added on February 24, 2017, at 7:16 pm by Kdonegan91.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I would not have read it. I usually read romance or comedy books. Having read the sample, my opinion remains. I liked how the author described the characters' feelings. However, the sample was a little hard to follow. The book seems to be professionally edited. It has a favorable Onlinebookclub review. While I'm sure others would enjoy reading the book, I will not be reading it further.

First Ten review added on February 24, 2017, at 8:08 pm by AA1495.

Cjgarland89

At first glance of this book I wasn't excited about sampling. I didn't think it was anything remotely close to what it is. The OBC review definitely contributed to my interest in the book. It explained well what occurs in the book and the spiritual elements interest me. After sampling I enjoyed the sample. The author's writing is very visual, and easy to feel like I'm seeing what I'm reading. Right now I have too many books to read but maybe in a few months I can pick this one up to read.

First Ten review added on February 25, 2017, at 12:44 am by Cjgarland89.

ananya92

This novel is difficult to slot in any single genre, as there are so many elements discussed in it. The author has made good use of imagery which gives an almost mystical feel to the story. The story starts with Sparrow Hawk who is on some sort of a soul journey, traveling with other similar characters, where they meet 'Grandfather', an old, wise man who is presumably going to enlighten their path. The novel doesn't follow any clear-cut plot line and seems to drift along, with stories narrated within stories. Readers who enjoy magical realism blended with philosophy and spiritualism would like this one. However, based on the description and the review of the book, this novel is not my cup of tea, for the sole reason that I'm not a fan of this genre. That aside, the novel seems well-written based on the sample, and would impress people who avid readers of similar books.

First Ten review added on February 25, 2017, at 2:30 am by ananya92.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would not have read the book. I felt very confused by the blurb and I feel as though this is not a genre I typically read. After reading the blurb I have not changed my mind. The writing was a little inconsistent for me - it felt a little awkward and wordy, especially too purple at times. The official review did not change my mind. The book seems professionally edited but the writing is still a little choppy.

First Ten review added on February 25, 2017, at 3:06 am by psychopathycathy.

L_Therese

This book really seemed very interesting. The cover really suggested "allegory" to me, and the suggestion from the OBC review that it had similarities to "The Alchemist" was a very strong recommendation. However, when I read the first ten pages, it seemed less cohesive than I would have wanted to see. I love the idea, but I don't think it will work for me this time.

First Ten review added on February 25, 2017, at 10:45 am by L_Therese.

Gravy

This is not something I would typically look at. The style is interesting, and I didn't notice any errors, though the cover could use an overhaul. The two pictures together aren't very attractive, one or the other, or a better mix of the two would be more attractive.
I do wish the first ten had grabbed me more.
As the sample didn't pull me in, and this is not really something I would typically read, I don't plan to continue.

First Ten review added on February 25, 2017, at 7:29 pm by Gravy.

bookowlie

The Amazon summary intrigued me because it reminded me a little of The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. The cover didn't grab me since it seems a little busy with two different pictures and a title that doesn't stand out. Although the sample pages are edited well with no noticeable errors, I found the writing a little flat and the story hard to get into. Based on the sample, I am not too interested in reading the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on February 25, 2017, at 8:33 pm by bookowlie.

anneloretrujillo

I would not have sampled this book without this program. I don't usually like historical fiction, and this one wasn't set in a time period that I really enjoy reading. I also tend to not like constant change in setting. The OBC review described this book as having changes in setting. After reading the first ten pages, I will not be finishing this book. I enjoyed the style, but not the content. I liked the way the sentences were written because it really flowed. However, I found myself not getting invested in the story. It did seem to be professionally edited, but this isn't the book for me.

First Ten review added on February 26, 2017, at 1:40 am by anneloretrujillo.

truebookaddict

Had I not sampled the first ten pages as part of this program, I would have chosen to read this book based on the genre. I love historical fiction. Plus, the cover is beautiful.

The book was free so I did download it and I plan to read the whole book eventually. The first ten pages intrigued me enough to want to keep reading.

The book is well-edited. I did not notice typos or grammatical errors in the first ten pages.

While I found that I didn't learn much about the direction of this novel in the first ten pages, I did enjoy the lyrical prose. The author's descriptive writing transported me to the place where Sparrow Hawk is traveling.

This book was officially reviewed on OBC.

First Ten review added on February 26, 2017, at 3:42 am by truebookaddict.

CataclysmicKnight

The title initially made me think of a fantasy novel, but the cover threw me off. Once I saw what the book was about I came to love it and wonder about the symbolism within it. So far the book is mysterious, an unknown place, unknown people and even a story being told now at the end of the ten pages. While I'm very intrigued, I don't see finishing it anytime soon af least - it hasn't given me any major reason to keep reading yet.

First Ten review added on February 26, 2017, at 3:47 am by CataclysmicKnight.

Total ~ 12%

This book earned a score of 12%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 12% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has A Gathering of Warriors in their shelves?

More than 28 members have A Gathering of Warriors in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

amybo82

3-Star Shelf

littlefrog

Want To Read Shelf

BrittanyWillows

Want To Read Shelf

Elena_D

Want To Read Shelf

Sunspots

Want To Read Shelf

mtmom57

Want To Read Shelf