OnlineBookClub.org

Featured Book

Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.6 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on October 7, 2016, at 11:20 pm by kimmyschemy06.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

The Honey Bubble

by George Putnam

The First Ten

Because The Honey Bubble was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Sarah_Khan

At first glance, I find the cover art unprofessional, it looks like anyone could have made it on a computer. The premise for this novel reminds me of the movie Horrible Bosses and I'm not sure if that is a good thing.
After reading the first ten pages, I was pleasantly surprised. The book is actually well-written and professionally edited. The author does a great job at painting a picture in your head. Unfortunately, I will not be reading the rest of this book because nothing about it really jumped out at me.

First Ten review added on December 4, 2016, at 11:24 am by Sarah_Khan.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Rachel1019

This book offers no hints as to the genre or anything from the cover and title. I certainly would not have expected this to be a crime novel. Based on the review, I would expect this to be a great book. The pages that I read offer a good example of the kind of writing in the book. While this sounds like a good book to read, it did not completely impress me from the start. I'm not going to read it right now, because I have other books that I think I would like more.

First Ten review added on December 4, 2016, at 2:54 pm by Rachel1019.

hsimone

The cover doesn't really appeal to me, the title is a bit confusing, and the blurb doesn't really seem to interest me either. Even though the reviews seem positive, including the OBC one, I would not have sampled this read on my own. Based on the bit that I read, the book does seem to be professionally edited. I really liked how the author used detailed descriptions to give his audience a visual of both the setting and the characters. I am not a big fan of both Kenny and Curly, but that could have been the author's intent. Overall, since I do not like the characters so far, and the beginning didn't really pull me in, I will not be buying the book today.

First Ten review added on December 4, 2016, at 3:09 pm by hsimone.

CrescentMoon

I think the cover is pretty plain so it is easy to ignore but I like the title and the blurb sounds fascinating. I love reading crime and mystery novels and this book seems like it's one I would enjoy reading. After reading the first ten pages, I think I will continue reading the rest. The setting and plot is laid down in the beginning which makes me think the rest of the story will be full of action and intrigue.

First Ten review added on December 4, 2016, at 3:34 pm by CrescentMoon.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

Vermont Reviews

The Honey Bubble by George Putnam shows the many talents of the author. Excellent creative character names. Curly Peetz and Kenny Grimmit, along with Cammy and Earl Zell, Marty who is about to be bumped off by Kenny & Cammy with a little help from Dominick Catina. Dom's bouncer who's name is Cedar Roach also play into the unfolding drama. I really enjoyed the preview and from reading the reviews by readers, most seem to be looking for more from the author. Well written. I did find one mistake. Cammy sipped his (beer) not bear. Not sure if there are more, but this one you may want to fix. At this time my reading schedule is overbooked. But based on the preview and reviews I would have purchased this one to read.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on December 4, 2016, at 4:36 pm by Vermont Reviews.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would not have read the book. The cover is a little bland to me, and although the blurb was interesting, I did not feel like I would enjoy this genre. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind. The writing was professionally edited but it did not really suit my taste; I felt a little bored after reading it. The official review I read did not affect my decision.

First Ten review added on December 4, 2016, at 4:38 pm by psychopathycathy.

bookowlie

The summary blurb is well written and had me intrigued. It gave just enough information without giving away too much of the plot. Based on the summary, the cover artwork doesn't seem to fit. It looks too whimisical, as if it were a children's book. I wouldn't give a second glance if I had just seen the cover. The beginning pages captured my interest with a nice writing style, detailed development of the characters, and a vividly described setting. I also read the glowing Official Review before reading the sample and wasn't disappointed. Based on the review and sample pages, I am interested in reading further.

First Ten review added on December 4, 2016, at 6:22 pm by bookowlie.

jungkookblog

I don't think I would've read this book based on the title, cover, etc. because it doesn't look very interesting. I am going to buy the whole book because I love all the details! It has just enough vocabulary that I can understand, that's what I like about it. It seems like it was professionally edited. It had many great details, and the background info. I did not see a review, and it has not affected my decision.

First Ten review added on December 4, 2016, at 6:43 pm by jungkookblog.

L_Therese

I wasn't sure what to think when I started reading the sample. The review had been full of praise, but I wasn't sure about the characterization and how sophisticated it would be. The blurb on Amazon could have been describing an altogether different book, so that threw a wrench in the works. The title still didn't seem to make any sense. I read the first ten pages with no clear idea about what the book would be like or whether or not I'd like it. In the end, I decided that I mostly didn't. It seemed a little cartoonish. The situation seemed grossly exaggerated and very one-dimensional. Probably, it'll get better. The reviewer loved it after all, but I'm not going to wait around and see.

First Ten review added on December 4, 2016, at 8:59 pm by L_Therese.

Kdonegan91

The cover leaves much to be desired but the title is intriguing. After reading the sample and OBC review, I do not believe I will be purchasing the book. Even though the sample seemed professionally edited, I felt like it didn't flow well. I just did not feel the curiosity or interest to read more of the book.

First Ten review added on December 4, 2016, at 11:45 pm by Kdonegan91.

Gravy

I would not have looked at this. The writing is okay, but I feel like the word "irony" shouldn't have been used the way it was, or as much.
The characters were interesting, but the story just isn't for me.

First Ten review added on December 5, 2016, at 7:16 am by Gravy.

amybo82

I dabble in reading crime and mystery books, but they are usually not my first choice. Based on the book's description, blurb, and reviews, it is not one I would have picked out to read. The Online Book Club review made the book sound interesting, and it certainly pointed out some high points of the book. After sampling the book, I have decided that this is not the book for me. I am not a fan of the author's writing style. I find it too wordy. It's focused so much in giving detailed descriptions that it gets murky. However, I could definitely see this being a popular book among fans of the crime and mystery genres. I did notice some run-on sentences, but other than that, the spelling and grammar were on point.

First Ten review added on December 5, 2016, at 8:22 am by amybo82.

klbradley

If I hadn't sampled the first ten pages of this book, I would have more than likely by-passed it. Based on the cover, this doesn't look anything like a crime story. This book does have an excellent review history, and several other readers have already added it to their shelves. Although this one does look like it will be interesting, I have to get caught up on my reading list before I take on anything else, so I am going to pass for now.

First Ten review added on December 5, 2016, at 10:56 am by klbradley.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it. The cover and title didn't interest me. Further, I usually prefer romance books. Having read the sample, my opinion remains. There was an element of humor, which I liked. However, I thought the descriptions were excessive. I found one minor grammatical error. The book has a favorable Onlinebookclub review. While I'm sure others would love the book, it isn't for me.

First Ten review added on December 5, 2016, at 3:21 pm by AA1495.

Momlovesbooks

The title and cover of the book didn't give me a clue to what it was about. However, the summary of the book and the reviews made it sound really exciting. I read the first few pages but, unfortunately, could not get interested in the plot or the characters. It seemed slow-paced starting out and I felt no connection to the characters. It might get better as the story progresses, but I won't be reading further.

First Ten review added on December 5, 2016, at 4:19 pm by Momlovesbooks.

anneloretrujillo

I probably would not have sampled this book based on the OBC review and the genre. Although an assassination plot sounds mildly interesting, it just isn't for me. After reading the first ten pages, I will not be buying this book. The book is very descriptive, which is nice. However, I couldn't really get into the style of writing. I also wasn't interested in the content of the book. It did seem to be professionally edited. I don't doubt that this is a great book, it just isn't the book for me.

First Ten review added on December 5, 2016, at 5:06 pm by anneloretrujillo.

Rachaelamb1

The cover does not look professional or do a good job indicating what type of book it is. Based on the cover, my first thought was that it was a children's book. The OBC official review gave me a good feel for the book, but this is not a genre I usually read. The first ten pages did not draw me in. I found it a little boring as nothing is happening except two people hanging out in an empty bar. I don't plan on reading the rest, however the book appears to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on December 5, 2016, at 9:38 pm by Rachaelamb1.

MarisaRose

At first glance, "The Honey Bubble" caught my interest. The blurb on Amazon piqued my interest; who wouldn't want to read about a couple of bar owners ousting the competition to drive up business? If I had not read the first ten pages of this book I still think there is a good chance I would have chosen to read it. After reading the first ten, I'm absolutely sure I want to read the rest of this one! The book appears to be well written and edited professionally. More so, I enjoy that there are sarcastic overtones already apparent in the first ten. I'm interested to find out what happens to why the bar owners hatch this plan. I read the official OBC review for this one and the positive feedback the reviewer gave made me strongly consider reading "The Honey Bubble."

First Ten review added on December 5, 2016, at 10:37 pm by MarisaRose.

Cjgarland89

The title and cover of this book were not appealing to me at all. The review peaked my interest a little bit because I enjoy crime books. After sampling I think the author didn't do themselves justice with the cover and title because the book appears well written and interesting, however I don't think it's something I could finish reading. I enjoy a whole package, but this one just doesn't do it for me. The OBC review did help in realizing the genre and plot, but didn't convince me to complete the book.

First Ten review added on December 6, 2016, at 6:19 am by Cjgarland89.

truebookaddict

I don't always read crime fiction, so I probably would not have chose to read/sample this had it not been part of this program.

This book is above my eBook spending limit so I won't be buying it. If the price was lower, and the story had engaged me more in the first ten pages, I might reconsider.

The book seems professionally edited. I did not notice typos or grammatical errors.

The writing is straightforward and casual, not stiff at all. It's very easy to envision what's going on in the story, which is pretty great storytelling. However, as I stated above, I was not engaged after reading the first ten pages, but judging by the high ratings this book has received, I'd imagine it just takes a minute to get going.

This book was officially reviewed on OBC.

First Ten review added on December 6, 2016, at 9:00 am by truebookaddict.

Total ~ 20%

This book earned a score of 20%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 20% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has The Honey Bubble in their shelves?

More than 28 members have The Honey Bubble in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

kimmyschemy06

4-Star Shelf

[Christina Marie]

Want To Read Shelf

DebbieM12

Want To Read Shelf

Kdonegan91

Want To Read Shelf

prizenut81

4-Star Shelf

mizz_holly_13

Want To Read Shelf