Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.8 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on September 22, 2016, at 5:03 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

A Book for Oreo

by Caralee Jardine

The First Ten

Because A Book for Oreo was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

gali

I probably wouldn't have sampled the book on my own, as it isn't a book that I normally gravitate to. The cover is nice, but the blurb far too short. The official review shed some light on the book though. It seems like a well-written book, but I didn't connect to the writing. The sample started well enough, with the author relating her reasons for writing the book (very touching), then moving to the story of Oreo's adoption. I salute the author for saving the cat's life and going to all that troubles on his behalf. It sounds like a sweet and heartwarming tale, but the repeated references to God were a bit too much for my taste. I won't buy the book as religious-themed books aren't really my cup of tea.

First Ten review added on February 26, 2017, at 10:17 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

SandraTWP-BRW

I did not find the cover particularly compelling. The graphics look amateurish. However, I am kind of a sucker for cats, and I was drawn to the premise of the book. I also found the blurb suggestive that the book might appeal to children, and I'm always on the lookout for new books for elementary and middle school aged readers.

In the first ten pages, we only learn a small amount about Oreo. He sounds completely adorable, and I enjoyed reading about him.

On the other hand, I came across multiple editorial and grammar errors in the excerpt. Dates and a time were formatted incorrectly. I also found a sentence fragment. These errors happened often enough I found the distracting, as they disrupted the flow of reading.

In the prelude, the author alludes to what some people might consider an inappropriate relationship. The love and companionship of an animal can be healing in a way that no other love can. But it is questionable for an adult human to equate any animal as equivalent to a parental relationship with a human child. Beyond that, the author admits she lies to get Oreo in the first place. Perhaps most shocking of all - she scoops Oreo out of the lap of a child - a child who, presumably, was there in the company of her parents, who might have been legitimately prepared to HONESTLY provide Oreo a safe and happy home. Because of the serious situational ethics of the author, I can't seriously consider offering this book to a young person, even if the multiple grammar and editorial errors were absent.

I'm glad that the relationship with Oreo worked out for the author. But it is a fair alternate interpretation of the circumstances that God took a situation caused by sinful behavior (lying and selfish actions) and turned it around and used it for good, rather than God "sending" Oreo in the first place.

I will not be purchasing or completing reading this book.

First Ten review added on February 26, 2017, at 10:28 am by SandraTWP-BRW.

bookowlie

The cover is very cute, although it feels like the cover of a children's picture book rather than a full-length story for all ages. The short summary gave me a good sense of what to expect. I enjoyed the heartfelt sample, but the religious overtones feel a little overdone and awkward. I noticed a few errors in the sample, such as spaces between the hyphens in "sister-in-law" and day not being capitalized in the formal term "Mother's Day." The photos add a nice touch to the story. Even though the Official Review is very positive, the writing style is a little flat and I am not too interested in reading the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on February 26, 2017, at 11:12 am by bookowlie.

CrescentMoon

After reading the blurb, I would not pick this book up. I'm really not much into reading stories with animals in it. Although this sounds like a very heart-warming read about a woman's bond with her cat that just passed away, the storyline really doesn't pique my interest. After reading the first ten pages, I think this would appeal to readers who are cat or animal lovers but this book is not for me.

First Ten review added on February 26, 2017, at 11:32 am by CrescentMoon.

Sarah_Khan

At first glance, the cover art and title seem unique so they made me want to find out more. The blurb was concise.
After reading the first few pages, I can say that this book is professionally edited and well-written. Although this novel seems sweet and different, the story itself does not intrigue me, therefore I do not intend to read the rest.

First Ten review added on February 26, 2017, at 12:10 pm by Sarah_Khan.

Vermont Reviews

Today's book of the day A Book For Oreo by Caralee Jardine is a love story between a cat and a human. As any pet owner knows owning a pet can be a wonderful experience.

The author shows her readers with words her emotion and the relationship between a human and a cat. It is a great novel. Well written and a great story. At this time my schedule is overbooked and I will not br downloading this book. I would have bought the book based on the preview.

Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on February 26, 2017, at 1:56 pm by Vermont Reviews.

ashley_claire

Based on the OBC review, I was pretty interested in sampling this book. I also have two rescued pets and the promise of good writing and heartwarming stories sounded like this could be a great book. The book seems well written and the stories are easy to imagine and follow along with. I love the pictures with Oreo, the reader gets lots of visuals to go along with the stories. I was a bit thrown off by the prelude talking exclusively about how God's plan for Caralee didn't match her own plan for her life. It seems like this book will focus more on religion than I'm comfortable with, which is why I won't be reading the rest of this book.

First Ten review added on February 26, 2017, at 2:22 pm by ashley_claire.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it. I usually read romance or comedy books. Having read the sample, I liked the author's writing style. I liked how she described her thoughts and feelings. The book seems to be professionally edited. It has a favorable Onlinebookclub review. I enjoyed reading the sample and hence, I think I will read the book further.

First Ten review added on February 26, 2017, at 3:32 pm by AA1495.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would not have read the book. The cover is okay, but the blurb seemed a little simplistic. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind. The main reason is that it was filled with grammatical errors, such as not putting commas inside quotation marks. Another error is that the author wrote "little girls lap" when the "girls" should have been possessive. I read the official review but it did not change my mind.

First Ten review added on February 26, 2017, at 3:34 pm by psychopathycathy.

Bfrisco

I don't know that I would have looked into this book based on the cover and title. I probably wouldn't have looked into this book based on the description on Amazon.
I have no plans to buy and read the rest of the book. It's not the genre I typically read, although it seemed well-written and edited to me when I read the sample. The premise did not pull me in, and I do not have a strong desire to continue.
I appreciated the author's passion for her subject. Personally, I was uninterested in the religious aspect of the book, although that's entirely my preference. I didn't think anything should be changed. The official onlinebookclub review did help me understand the overall theme of the book, but it did not affect my decision, in the end.

First Ten review added on February 26, 2017, at 5:26 pm by Bfrisco.

James Craft

I already got my copy of this book because I had a cat who looked exactly like the cat on the cover, and it made me nostalgic to read it. Plus, the book got a good rating from OBC and looks really good. The opening hook managed to catch my attention and it looks well put together. All in all, I'm impressed by this one and looking forward to reading it.

First Ten review added on February 26, 2017, at 5:33 pm by James Craft.

MarisaRose

When I first heard about "A Book for Oreo," I was excited about the subject matter. As a cat lover and cat companion to four cats, I felt I could easily relate to this book. After sampling the first ten pages of this book I knew I would enjoy the story. I felt connected to the author through similar experiences adopting from a humane society as well as dealing with landlords regarding pet policies. However, I wasn't thrilled by the writing style. Reading the sample felt very much like someone was just telling me a story. The writing lacked any real style, imagery, or emotion. I really wanted to like this one. Though I think I may pick this one up again some time in the future, I will not continue reading "A Book for Oreo" at this time. If the writing had been more compelling, I would have had a hard time putting this one down. I did not note any grammatical errors in the sample.

First Ten review added on February 26, 2017, at 7:08 pm by MarisaRose.

ZenaLei7

I will not read the entire book because it was not interesting enough for me to even buy the book. I like dogs better than cats, so a book about cats isn't really interesting to me. I didn't see any grammatical errors either.

First Ten review added on February 26, 2017, at 7:35 pm by ZenaLei7.

jamesabr

This book is very cozy to read! As a collection of anecdotes dedicated to Jardine's cat, Oreo, it sparked my pity. I especially enjoyed the moment in which the six month old kitten (Oreo) clings to Jardine's jacket. It was very cute! If I were not a part of the First Ten program, I would have likely sampled it due to the positive review that it received on Online Book Club as well as its summary on Facebook. It appeared to be a heartwarming book, and it is so far. I will definitely buy and read this collection! There were no typos or grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on February 26, 2017, at 7:46 pm by jamesabr.

Kdonegan91

Honestly, the cover and title didn't really encourage me to read the book. Although the cover is cute, it comes off sort of childlike. However, the sample was very well-written and progressed with ease. I was on the fence whether to purchase this book or not. In the end, I chose not to buy this book. The author is talented but I don't think the storyline is for me.

First Ten review added on February 26, 2017, at 10:01 pm by Kdonegan91.

ananya92

This book is a non-fictional account of Caralee and Oreo's (her cat's) special relationship, akin to that of mother and child. Since, its a true story, a reader can't really complain about the content or the feelings of the author. The writing, which is very important in this genre, was superb and the book seems to be well edited. Episodes from Oreo's life are retold in an entertaining fashion to amuse the readers. On the whole, it seems like this is a heartwarming and sweet tale. The only facet that doesn't sit well with me is the whole spiritual angle, for example, in the beginning itself, the author states how the absence of a husband and a child was fulfilled by her cat, Oreo. While this can still be digested, she narrates how god decided this course of life for her, which I found a slightly silly belief. Going by the review and the description, I am positive that this is a book worth a try, but due to my incongruence with the whole spiritual angle to the narrative, I think I'll pass.

First Ten review added on February 27, 2017, at 7:08 am by ananya92.

L_Therese

Books about people's pets are almost always a lot of fun. When I saw this one, I anticipated having to decide if I loved it enough to purchase it and add it to my long, long list of books to read. Reading the sample introduced me to a few funny stories and, of course, Oreo the Cat himself. In the end, I decided that I can't buy another book right now because I lack the time to read it.

First Ten review added on February 27, 2017, at 9:32 am by L_Therese.

Cjgarland89

This isn't a book I would have normally sampled. I did think it was sweet to have written this for the author's cat. I had a cat named Oreo when I was younger, but after sampling it's just not interesting enough to me. I didn't see any errors in the book, and it's well organized. The OBC review was intriguing but didn't contribute to my opinion either way.

First Ten review added on February 27, 2017, at 10:56 am by Cjgarland89.

Leese

Had I not read the free sample and the official OBC review, I don't think this is a book that I would have chosen to read. The cover, to me, almost looks like it is a book aimed at young readers, though the blurb and sample say otherwise. From the first ten pages I can already tell this book is going to be filled with emotion and will speak to anybody who has ever owned a cat or any kind of pet. I like how the author really pours out her feelings early on and talks about the true love felt between pet and owner. It sets the right kind of vibe for such a memoir right off the bat. I didn't notice any errors and it looks as though this book has been professionally edited and care has been taken to ensure the quality of it. I definitely plan on reading the rest of this book at a later date.

First Ten review added on February 27, 2017, at 1:24 pm by Leese.

hsimone

The cover is adorable, as well as the title. The concept of this book is sweet and one that I am interested in reading. Even though, there are no Amazon reviews as of right now, the reliable OBC review gives high praises for this book. Therefore, I would have sampled this book even without this program. Based on what I read the book does seem to be professionally edited. I love the author's clear affection toward Oreo; it feels pure and true. When describing Oreo, the author says that he is a black and white DSH; I don't know this acronym, and I feel it would be helpful if the author wrote what it stands for. Overall, I feel I will enjoy this book, and will purchase the book and eventually finishing reading it.

First Ten review added on February 27, 2017, at 2:43 pm by hsimone.

Momlovesbooks

I'm an animal lover, so was instantly drawn to the cover of this book. After reading the review, I knew I would have to read this one. My dog of almost 17 years passed away a couple of years ago. I know how it feels to lose a beloved pet. I read the first few pages of the book and then went ahead and downloaded it. I know I'll shed some tears, but look forward to reading this story.

First Ten review added on February 27, 2017, at 5:28 pm by Momlovesbooks.

Gravy

This is a very nice way to honor a wonderful cat. There's nothing like a cat, and no two are the same, and the hole that they leave can never be filled.
I didn't notice any big errors, save one. And as an animal lover, it was a big one for me. It's Shih Tzu, not shiatsu.
Aside from this, mostly it works. I can see cat lovers and readers of things like 'Chicken Soup for the Soul' really enjoying this.
As this isn't where my reading is at this point, I don't see myself reading this anytime soon, but would recommend it for those listed above.

First Ten review added on February 27, 2017, at 8:32 pm by Gravy.

kstockard

I would not have read this book based off of the cover and title alone. It seems simplistic and childish and I don't like cats. After reading the first ten pages, I still won't read the whole book because the topics do not interest me nor am I religious. The book seems to be well written but the topic area does not appeal to everyone and I happen to fall in that category.

First Ten review added on February 28, 2017, at 12:43 am by kstockard.

anneloretrujillo

I might have sampled this book based on the cover, title, OBC review and blurb. I don't usually read non-fiction, but I do tend to enjoy non-fiction books that are written as a story. After reading the first ten pages, I will not be finishing this story. I thought it was a very heartwarming story. I got teary-eyed as I was reading. I did, however, notice a couple of punctuation errors as I was reading. I got distracted by the errors and kind of lost interest. The style of writing itself also wasn't for me. It was too matter-of-fact for my taste.

First Ten review added on February 28, 2017, at 1:04 am by anneloretrujillo.

jungkookblog

I think I will be reading this book because I personally love cats, but I do not have one, and I want to see the experiences of having one. I am going to be reading this book because it seems to give me the laughter and it seems very adorable to read. It seems professionally edited. I loved how the author started from the very beginning and it gave the reader a backstory. I did not see a review, and I don't think it would affect my decision.

First Ten review added on February 28, 2017, at 1:29 am by jungkookblog.

chocomeiske

I'm not a cat person so this would not be my cup of tea. I read the sample and thought it was very emotional and moving. Oreo clearly filled a void in the author's life. I like the conversational tone in which it is told and I felt it was well-edited.

First Ten review added on February 28, 2017, at 1:59 am by chocomeiske.

truebookaddict

Had I not sampled the first ten pages as part of this program, I would have chosen to read/sample this book because I love cats. I love stories about beloved pets.

I'm not going to buy the book at this time because the price is above my eBook spending limit, and while I enjoyed the story so far, I was a little put off by the frequent references to God.

The book seems to be professionally edited. I did not notice any typos or grammatical errors.

I really liked the beginning of the story. I'm a big time cat lover and I know what a bond there is between a person and their beloved pet. Oreo sounds like such a sweetie. I also enjoyed the pictures that the author included. While I didn't like the frequent references to God, I know that religion is very important to some people and so understand the author's choice in including this in her book.

This book was officially reviewed on OBC.

First Ten review added on February 28, 2017, at 8:41 am by truebookaddict.

Total ~ 26%

This book earned a score of 26%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 26% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has A Book for Oreo in their shelves?

More than 28 members have A Book for Oreo in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

ilovebooks2

Want To Read Shelf

Mom14043

Want To Read Shelf

DEBBIE SMITH

Want To Read Shelf

CataclysmicKnight

4-Star Shelf

Majikalone

Want To Read Shelf

Momlovesbooks

Currently Reading Shelf