Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.0 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on September 18, 2016, at 12:34 pm by e-tasana-williams.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

The Pursuit of Time

by William H. May

The First Ten

Because The Pursuit of Time was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

gali

I may have sampled the book on my own as I love the genre. The cover isn't very fetching and the blurb far too short. The official review had me hooked, though. The sample started well enough, introducing John Axelton, but I found the pace far too slow. As much as the premise of Human brain transplants sounds interesting, it is nothing new. There are several books with a similar theme. I won't buy the book today, as it didn't hook me enough to want to finish it.

First Ten review added on March 4, 2017, at 10:20 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

James Craft

This one only got a 3 out of 4 from OBC which still is a good rating. The cover is intriguing with what looks to be a brain, and the words are easy to read. All in all, the initial package seems quite excellent, and at first I thought this might be a book I would enjoy. However, inside the book I wasn't able to connect with it as well as I would have liked. There were some formatting issues I found to be distracting, and the content simply didn't hook me. I won't be continuing this one, but I am sure for the right audience this is an excellent read.

First Ten review added on March 4, 2017, at 10:52 am by James Craft.

CrescentMoon

After reading the blurb, the novel does sound really interesting. I am a fan of science fiction so I think I would pick this book up. After reading the first ten pages however I don't think I will read the rest. I wasn't really hooked into the storyline and I wasn't really enticed into buying this book.

First Ten review added on March 4, 2017, at 11:47 am by CrescentMoon.

Sarah_Khan

I really like the cover of this book. The title sounds mysterious and intriguing. The Online Book Club review was informative and made me want to start reading the book.
After reading a few pages, I felt like a little more editing should be done to help the sentences flow better. The plot is definitely interesting but science-fiction is not my genre, therefore I do not intend to read the rest of this novel. Although I can see how this would appeal to sci-fi fans.

First Ten review added on March 4, 2017, at 12:19 pm by Sarah_Khan.

ashley_claire

I don't think I would normally pick this book up and choose to read it myself. The title and the brain on the cover gave me the preconceived notion that this book would rely heavily on science, which is something I'm not very keen on. Reading the first ten pages did help to somewhat sway that bias as nothing was too beyond my grasp that I couldn't understand it. I tend to like my futuristic books to be more action-packed than I think this one will be. There was nothing in particular that makes me not want to read the book, but there's also nothing about it that grabs my attention and makes me want to continue. I will not be reading the rest of this book.

First Ten review added on March 4, 2017, at 12:36 pm by ashley_claire.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it. I usually read romance books. Having read the sample, I liked how the characters were introduced. However, I didn't like the pace at which the plot was moving in the sample. The book seems professionally edited. It has a favorable onlinebookclub review. I will not be reading this book further now, but I might read it in the future.

First Ten review added on March 4, 2017, at 1:28 pm by AA1495.

CataclysmicKnight

I love a good sci-fi story, but somehow the cover made me think of a nonfiction book so I may not have looked into it. I read the first ten pages without reading the description, so it seemed a little slow at first. One the book started describing how brain transplanting began and all the wild effects it had (reducing crime and turning everyone into kind people were great!) it really took off. I'm really interested to see what will happen, so I'll definitely finish it sometime.

First Ten review added on March 4, 2017, at 3:31 pm by CataclysmicKnight.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would not have read the story. The blurb is a little simplistic, and I wish it didn't directly tell us the societal problem the author was trying to express. The writing was a little simple as well and the style didn't quite flow - perhaps because of sentence structure. There didn't seem to be any errors. I read the official review and it made me want to read the book more.

First Ten review added on March 4, 2017, at 7:19 pm by psychopathycathy.

Vermont Reviews

The Pursuit of Time by
William H. May today's book of the day is a thought provoking story about the future of transplants of brains into younger bodies. I purchased the book based on the preview. Added this to my 2017 reading list.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on March 4, 2017, at 9:53 pm by Vermont Reviews.

Bfrisco

I was very interested in the book based on the cover and the title. However, when I began reading, I began to lose interest. I expected more of a philosophical or science-based non fiction book by the cover and title. After I read the onlinebookclub review, I understand the reason the author chose this title, but I was a little surprised by it when I first began to read. The book appeared to be professionally edited. I found it uninteresting when I began to read, and I was a little annoyed that the woman who was introduced was immediately sexualized in the narrator's eyes. The premise of the book was interesting, but I think the author spent a little too much time explaining rather than allowing it to show up gradually or find a better way to express the rules of the world than paragraphs of text. I will not continue to read this book.

First Ten review added on March 4, 2017, at 10:04 pm by Bfrisco.

ZenaLei7

The review made the book sound really interesting but I usually don't read novels such as this one. I'll take a pass on this book, beacuse it doesn't seem like it's worth buying. I noticed a few minor grammatical mistakes, but it didn't detract from the story.

First Ten review added on March 4, 2017, at 11:57 pm by ZenaLei7.

jamesabr

John's exposition was accomplished naturally. His interactions with Cathy were not forced. To me, this interaction within the first few pages was the best part. If I were not a part of this program, I would have sampled the book due to the synopsis and review of it on Online Book Club. I will buy and read the book. There were no typos or grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on March 5, 2017, at 1:19 am by jamesabr.

L_Therese

The concept of this novel was both a little interesting and a lot disturbing for me. I probably would not have seriously considered it for recreational reading if not for this program. When I read the first ten pages of the sample, my decision was virtually made for me. On the very first page, I noticed a grammatical error (a misplaced comma). It put me off the book, and I never felt invested enough in the characters thereafter to want to obtain the full book to read it.

First Ten review added on March 5, 2017, at 1:37 am by L_Therese.

Gravy

I noticed no errors, and I like the cover. I would have looked at this as I'm typically curious about this type of story. Despite my interest in this sub-genre I read only a fraction of those that catch my eye. This won't be one of them. While the story is very interesting, and I like what the author has done, it's just not what I look for in my science fiction and I already have an extensive to-read list.

First Ten review added on March 5, 2017, at 2:02 am by Gravy.

hsimone

The cover seems too scientific for me, the title seems like it conflicts with the cover, which would have led have me to not sample this read. The blurb does pique my interest a bit, but usually I do not enjoy Science Fiction. The reviews seem to be positive, including the OBC one, which is always a plus. However, I still would not have sampled this read without this program.

Based on what I read, the book does seem to be professionally edited. I really like the author's writing style; the way he gives you enough details to make you think John is in a nursing home, but he doesn't have to come out and say it right away. Then, of course, the reader learns that John is in assisted living care. Also, John seems like a really likable character. In general, my interest is piqued and I would like to know where he story is going. With this interest and the positive OBC review, I do plan on buying this book and eventually finish reading it.

First Ten review added on March 5, 2017, at 2:15 am by hsimone.

ananya92

This novel comes up with a novel idea of brain transplants which allow people to have a second shot at life, assuming there is a donor body. Obviously, there is great demand and short supply; therefore to decide who gets this chance a Tribunal chooses the worthy candidates based on their contributions to humanity for example, Nobel Laureates. Obviously this is not a typical adrenaline-charged science fiction but a unusual plot having a good legal angle and posing philosophical questions. In the sample, I liked how the author came up with the idea of a future world where law enforcement and human development is incentivized through the slim chance of a second life in another body. While the review and description provoked my interest in the novel, the sample was not engaging enough. The sample displays the author's smooth writing style and it is well-edited, but it did not hold my interest deeply. Also, ideologically I don't agree with the idea of prolonging life, especially when people perform good deeds solely for the purpose of an extended life; it makes their contributions to humanity rather selfish. Therefore, I'll pass this one.

First Ten review added on March 5, 2017, at 2:49 am by ananya92.

SandraTWP-BRW

The cover of the book has good balance and choice of colors. The blurb was very intriguing and definitely grabbed my interest.

The first ten pages were great in an unexpected way. John axelrod became a very real person, someone you might already know. The state of society is also fairly well described, with actions and events used to prepared the reader for the explanation of why - and how - society has changed. I found myself slightly skeptical at the idea that it had changed for the better, considering all the "good" was ultimately self-servicing, and musing what would happened when people eventually realized their good deeds could never benefit them. However, it a an excellent insight into Axelrod's state of mind and inherent optimism.

In this excerpt, I noted few editorial errors.

As for planning to read the rest of the book... I actually finished it the same day. A good, thoughtful read.

First Ten review added on March 5, 2017, at 7:21 am by SandraTWP-BRW.

chocomeiske

If not for this program, I doubt I would have chosen to read a sample of this book because the cover suggests a complicated sci-fi read. Having read the sample, I stand by my intiial observation. I found the sample to be well-edited.

First Ten review added on March 5, 2017, at 12:52 pm by chocomeiske.

anneloretrujillo

I would have sampled this book based on the blurb and OBC review. I am not usually interested in science fiction, but the idea of brain transplants was really interesting to me. After reading the first ten pages, I will be purchasing and reading this book. I really enjoyed the story so far. I liked that it switched perspectives between chapters. I also like the general idea of brain transplants and how it is affecting society in the story. After reading the sample, there was no way that I couldn't read this book. It did seem to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on March 5, 2017, at 7:57 pm by anneloretrujillo.

Momlovesbooks

I enjoy dystopian novels so figured I would like to try this one. The review was intriguing. I like that it wasn't the usual post-apocalyptic theme. After reading the first few pages, I could tell it had a more positive vibe to the future of our society. It seems cleverly written with a creative plot. I purchased it and will be adding it to my "to-read" list.

First Ten review added on March 5, 2017, at 8:29 pm by Momlovesbooks.

bookowlie

I can't say I was enthused about this book after seeing that the genre is science fiction (not my reading preference). That being said, the cover is very stylish and eye-catching, and the summary appears to be professionally edited. The beginning pages are well written although I found the pace a bit slow. Overall, the book seems like it might be interesting for readers who enjoy this genre, but I am going to take a pass on this one.

First Ten review added on March 5, 2017, at 9:33 pm by bookowlie.

Cjgarland89

At first I was excited to try this book out. The cover was interesting and the OBC review had my attention right away with the brain transplanting and getting a new life. However when I sampled the book it was underwhelming and couldn't catch my attention. After that I won't be finishing the book after all.

First Ten review added on March 5, 2017, at 10:20 pm by Cjgarland89.

Kdonegan91

The cover is eye-catching and the title intrigued me. However, after reading the OBC review and the sample, I have decided this book isn't for me. I am not interested in the storyline or the genre.

First Ten review added on March 5, 2017, at 11:02 pm by Kdonegan91.

jungkookblog

I don't think I will be reading this book because it seems like it will be confusing with all the information. I am not a big fan of medical books as well. I will not be reading this book because the plot of something to do with transplanting brains. It seems professionally edited. I did not see any review, and I don't think it would affect my decision.

First Ten review added on March 6, 2017, at 1:40 am by jungkookblog.

truebookaddict

Had I not sampled this book as part of this program, I would have chosen to read/sample it based on the genre and I was very interested in the subject matter.

I'm not going to buy the book at this time because the price is above my eBook spending limit. However, I will be keeping the sample and watching for a lower price in the future.

The book is very well-edited. I did not find any typos or grammatical errors.

This book is very well written. The writing is natural. It does not sound forced at all. It was very easy to slide right in to John's story, and to even like him immediately. I easily formed a picture of him in my head. I love the concept of brain transplants. It would be wonderful if that were really possible, and that it made society better seems very plausible.

This book was officially reviewed on OBC.

First Ten review added on March 6, 2017, at 8:57 am by truebookaddict.

MarisaRose

When I first heard about "The Pursuit of Time" I was very interested in the concept. I further enjoy the cover of the book. I think the simplicity of it says a lot about the book. After sampling the first ten pages I definitely want to know more! I want to see where the story will take the main character and how the themes will play out. I thought the writing style was interesting and the pacing seems pretty quick so far. I will be purchasing and finishing this book. I did not note any errors in the sample.

First Ten review added on March 6, 2017, at 9:59 am by MarisaRose.

Total ~ 31%

This book earned a score of 31%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 31% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has The Pursuit of Time in their shelves?

More than 28 members have The Pursuit of Time in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

e-tasana-williams

3-Star Shelf

Rachaelamb1

Want To Read Shelf

b0Ld-Km

Want To Read Shelf

Douwe

Want To Read Shelf

greekbard_vty

Want To Read Shelf

Chrislat

Want To Read Shelf