Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.6 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on September 16, 2016, at 12:49 pm by klbradley.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

ISBN: 2940156866205

Rise

by Luis Almonte

The First Ten

Because Rise was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

bookowlie

The summary blurb captured my interest since the concept reminded me a little of the Harry Potter series, with kids who possess magical powers attending school. The summary is well written and appears to be professionally edited. I didn't like the cover since, at first glance, it looked like the girl had no face and just swirling hair atop a body. I found the sample pages a little confusing, but this may be due to the fact that I don't read a lot of fantasy novels. I will likely not read the rest of the book due to my reading tastes.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2016, at 11:03 am by bookowlie.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Sarah_Khan

The cover of this novel looks cool and the title is good too. After reading the blurb I struggled to find something that would differentiate this book from other books in the same genre, but, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised after reading the first 10 pages. This novel is very well-written and professionally edited. It starts out with some action to really get you excited to turn each page. The only reason I will not be buying this book today is because this is the first book of a series and I do not want to commit to reading the whole series right now.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2016, at 11:48 am by Sarah_Khan.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it. It doesn't belong to a genre that I usually read. However, having read the sample, I found it interesting. The book has been written well and seems to be professionally edited. The author has described events (and the atmosphere in them) elaborately. However, I didn't like the pace at which the book was moving. There is a favorable Onlinebookclub review for the book, which convinced me to give the book a chance. I might read the book in future.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2016, at 2:16 pm by AA1495.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

hsimone

The cover is terrific, and the title gives the book an interesting feel. I absolutely love young adult fantasy, and the reviews look great, including the glowing OBC one. Therefore, I most likely would have sampled this read on my own.

Based on what I read, the book does seem to be professionally edited. I really like how readable this book seems. I feel Alexia's voice, as she is trying to catch Anatoli, has enough excitement, yet almost sassiness that can be found in many teenagers. When reading, I wasn't sure how I felt with Alexia's description of her sister and her appearances. It almost felt out of place during the chase. However, based on the glowing OBC review, the genre, and how readable the beginning is, I plan on purchasing this book today and reading it fully.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2016, at 2:23 pm by hsimone.

CrescentMoon

I really like the cover of the book, it is very eye-catching. I think the title is fitting for what the story is about. I would pick this book up out of curiosity. After reading the first ten pages, I am impressed with the writing. The prologue gives off the mystery and creepy vibe necessary from reading the killer's point of view. I am a fan of young adult stories so I think I will finish reading this.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2016, at 2:46 pm by CrescentMoon.

Vermont Reviews

Today's preview of Rise by Luis Almonte was an interesting story. The main character Alexia Wick is learning to use her magic. Her mentor Darren is surprised by what she does. Her brother Ryan and sister Sam witnessed her performance of the spell. Soon the Trials will be taking place and they all wonder if Alexia will be picked for this years trials. My reading schedule is right now overbooked. So I will not be downloading this book. I did enjoy reading this preview. The cover art is fantastic. The reviews from readers seem to be 5 stars overall. That means the author did a great job of building the story and characters. Great job.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on November 5, 2016, at 3:30 pm by Vermont Reviews.

gali

I probably would have sampled the book as I like the genre. The cover is lovely and the blurb is good though a bit long. The official review had me hooked I have to say. The sample started well, with the confrontation between the Alexia and the vampires. I liked the writing, although I am not a big fan of the present tense style, and found the sample well written. The premise sounds interesting, but not too original. Still, if I didn't have so many books on my reading list, I may have read the balance of the book. As it is, I won't buy the book at this time.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2016, at 4:05 pm by gali.

anneloretrujillo

I would not have sampled this book based on the OBC review and the genre. I have not been into young adult books or fantasy lately. After reading the first ten pages, I will not be buying the book. Right away, it was talking about casting spells, and I found myself disengage from the story. I thought that the writing itself was excellent. It was very descriptive. I just wasn't into it. It also seemed to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2016, at 8:36 pm by anneloretrujillo.

L_Therese

I was not especially drawn to this book because of two factors: magic and a young adult target readership. Both were extremely apparent as soon as I read the blurb. However, the reviewer said that the book may still hold appeal for adults, so I read the first ten pages with a modicum of positive feeling. The beginning was nothing like I'd thought it would be. It was considerably darker than I expected, and it made the protagonist seem like a villain of sorts. The writing itself was fine, but since I wasn't enjoying these opening pages of the story, I decided not to continue.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2016, at 1:39 am by L_Therese.

Rachaelamb1

Although the cover is done well, I do not care for books about witches, vampires, and the like. The first ten pages did not change my mind about that. It does seem like it is well written and professionally edited, just not my type of book. It has a positive OBC review, but it isn't enough to make me want to read further.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2016, at 2:57 am by Rachaelamb1.

ALynnPowers

The genre and summary of this book told me right away that this was the type of story that I would enjoy, if the author could pull off representing magic in a believable way that hasn't already been overdone. Ten pages in, and it looks like we're off to a good start, complete with excellent grammar and formatting. The only thing I didn't much care for was the incorporation of vampires. To be blunt, I just don't like vampires and think they're lame, and I wasn't warned beforehand that there would be vampires in this book. However, given that I got hooked onto the story despite the vampires' presence, I think this still might be something I could get into.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2016, at 11:20 am by ALynnPowers.

Momlovesbooks

The OBC reviewer gave this book a glowing review. I usually enjoy YA novels, but wasn't sure if this would appeal to me. I don't like reading about witches. I read the first few pages to give it a chance. The characters seemed well-developed and the plot appeared to be interesting. I think other fans of this genre would really enjoy this book. However, I couldn't get past my dislike of witches, so I won't be reading this one.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2016, at 12:49 pm by Momlovesbooks.

psychopathycathy

If I had not sampled this book, I would have read it. The cover is gorgeous, and the blurb looks very interesting. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind. The writing is descriptive and professionally edited, and the premise seems to be set up very well. I did not read an official review, but this did not change my mind.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2016, at 3:17 pm by psychopathycathy.

Rachel1019

The review of this book is enough to make me start reading this book immediately. While I am officially an adult, I still enjoy reading young adult novels, especially when they are in a fantasy genre. This cover would have made me pick this book up if I had seen it in the store, and the review would make me purchase it. This is a book that I would definitely love to read.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2016, at 3:21 pm by Rachel1019.

Gravy

I noticed no errors, but the style doesn't suit me. I expected something slightly different after reading the blurb, but the writing was interesting. The cover is very nice.
If I didn't have a full list I might consider reading this, but due to it not being something I would typically read, and the style not being being my taste, I won't be reading it.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2016, at 7:45 pm by Gravy.

CataclysmicKnight

I LOVE the cover on this book, so I was excited to give it a shot. The prologue is tense and magical, and it effectively enticed me into reading even further than the first ten pages even at 3am! The writing style is great and so is the plot thus far. I'll absolutely finish this one.

First Ten review added on November 7, 2016, at 3:05 am by CataclysmicKnight.

Cjgarland89

Usually YA fantasy isn't something I get into easily. But this book has me hooked after reading the sample! The prologue was intense and although I didn't fully grasp the seriousness of the situation, the witch/vampire aspects and casting of spells caught my attention. The main character seems driven and highly intelligent and will likely be fun to see her develop. The OBC review did influence my decision on choosing to finish reading this book because it was a great review and provided the necessary information to get my mind working on the plot of the book. I enjoyed the prologue the most because it introduced characters in a high stresss situation, and that's much more likely to draw me in than no action at all in the first few pages.

First Ten review added on November 7, 2016, at 7:02 am by Cjgarland89.

Total ~ 41%

This book earned a score of 41%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 41% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Rise in their shelves?

27 members have Rise in their shelves.

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

klbradley

4-Star Shelf

Tami216-

Want To Read Shelf

fhenixx_13

Want To Read Shelf

Sunspots

Want To Read Shelf

lydialeigh71

Want To Read Shelf

greekbard_vty

Want To Read Shelf