Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.7 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on August 31, 2016, at 6:28 pm by Shelle.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

Riding For The Brand: Sage Country Book Three

by Dan Arnold

The First Ten

Because Riding For The Brand was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

bookowlie

I was able to get a good flavor of the plot and themes from the well-written summary. The cover is attractive, although the subtitle is hard to see. The beginning pages are also well written and have a nice flow. That being said, I am not too interested in Westerns or books with an overly religious theme. Although the Official Review is very positive, I don't want to read the rest of this book based on my reading tastes.

First Ten review added on March 1, 2017, at 10:27 am by bookowlie.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

gali

I probably wouldn't have sampled the book on my own, as it is the third book in the series. I prefer to start series from the start whenever possible. The cover is fetching and the blurb concise and to the point. The sample started with a nightmare, and allusions to acts that took place in the previous book, which was confusing at first. However, soon enough information was provided to clarify matters. The official review was also helpful in that regard. The book seems well written, but faith-filled stories aren't really my cup of tea. I gathered from both the sample and the official review that religious overtones run throughout the tale. I won't buy the book, as religious-themed books aren't my preferable read.

First Ten review added on March 1, 2017, at 10:36 am by gali.

James Craft

This one received a 4 out of 4 star rating from online book club which is a nice tick in its favor. The cover is interesting if a little bit vague, and the title is enticing enough to make me want to find out more about what it is about. All in all, it looks like a well-rounded package with a number of positive reviews, but it just isn't my kind of book so I don't think I will be reading further. Dan Arnold has something good on his hands here, though, and I imagine this one will sell quite well down the line. Well done!

First Ten review added on March 1, 2017, at 11:19 am by James Craft.

Vermont Reviews

Today's choice for book of the day. Riding for the Brand by Dan Arnold peaked my interest to want to download the book. I love a good western story. Bringing Bat Masterson into the story was excellent. I have added this one to my 2017 reading list.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on March 1, 2017, at 11:48 am by Vermont Reviews.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

CrescentMoon

After reading the blurb, I don't think I would pick this book up. I am not typically a fan of western romances or western books in general. Also this book seems to have strong religious themes which I am also not a huge fan of reading. After reading the first ten pages, I don't think the genre of the book really suits me and I am not hooked. Readers of the genre may enjoy it but it is not for me.

First Ten review added on March 1, 2017, at 12:34 pm by CrescentMoon.

Sarah_Khan

The cover art of this book is appealing and the blurb did a good job of making me interested in reading the free sample.
After reading the first ten pages, I can say that this novel is well-written and professionally edited. I liked that the author explains the title in the beginning. This book seems like a good read for fans of this genre, but this just is not my cup of tea, therefore I do not intend to read the rest.

First Ten review added on March 1, 2017, at 1:09 pm by Sarah_Khan.

ashley_claire

Upon initially looking at this book, I wouldn't think it's for me. Westerns don't really hold my interest and the fact that this is the third book in a series also makes me not want to read this book. Thought the OBC review promises that the reader doesn't need to read the previous books in order to understand this one, I like to read series in chronological order. The first ten pages were well written and I enjoyed the writing style. But I just don't think this genre is for me. A faith-based western is not anywhere on my radar of books I would normally read, and the first ten pages didn't grab me enough to make me change my mind.

First Ten review added on March 1, 2017, at 1:20 pm by ashley_claire.

MarisaRose

I can honestly say I have never read a 'western' novel. Not that I don't have any interest in the genre, I've just never come across one that really piqued my interest. After reading the overly positive OBC review, I thought 'Riding for the Brand' would be worth sampling. For the most part, I enjoyed the sample. I thought the writing was solid and grammatically sound. Additionally, I was interested to find out what was going on with the characters. I did not realize this was the third book in a series. After enjoying the sample, I am now tempted to go back and sample the first book in the series. At this time, I will not be purchasing and reading 'Riding for the Brand' because I don't like to start in the middle of the series.

First Ten review added on March 1, 2017, at 1:36 pm by MarisaRose.

Gravy

I would not have looked at this, as I've yet to get into westerns. The cover makes sense, though it could be improved upon. I'm not a fan of the expository dialogue, I prefer a more balanced narrative.
Aside from this I didn't notice any errors.
I won't be reading this. While I'm open to enjoying a new genre, the author's style just isn't for me.

First Ten review added on March 1, 2017, at 2:48 pm by Gravy.

jamesabr

The exposition of the sample was steady. It wasn't too forced and allowed me to know about John Sage naturally through the words of others as well as his own. If I were not a part of First Ten, I likely would have overlooked this book due to its genre. I don't usually find Western novels interesting, but the Online Book Club's positive review piqued my interest. My favorite part was William Bartholomew Masterson's entrance into the Sage family breakfast. Like the first two pages of the first chapter, it presented the exposition naturally. I will purchase and read this book eventually. There were no typos or grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on March 1, 2017, at 4:22 pm by jamesabr.

Kdonegan91

At first glance, I was not interested in this book. However, I am happy I read the sample. It is well-written and progresses nicely. I like that the author interwines faith with the storyline. Even though I have never read or was interested in a western themed book, I am definitely buying this book!

First Ten review added on March 1, 2017, at 7:07 pm by Kdonegan91.

Bfrisco

I would not have looked at this book if it had not been a book of the day. The cover and the title both indicate a western, which is not the type of book I typically read. Reading the onlinebookclub review confirmed what I had assumed. I would not continue to read this book. I think the book seemed professionally edited. I'm not sure if this is because it appears to be the third book in a series, but I felt like I was tossed into the middle of a story from page one. It was an odd combination of rapid backstory and abrupt beginning, in my mind. The dialogue seemed to be the better part of this book.

First Ten review added on March 1, 2017, at 7:16 pm by Bfrisco.

psychopathycathy

IfI had not read this sample, I would not have read the book. I do not like faith-filled books. After reading the sample I have not changed my mind. The part I enjoyed was when the writing was only dialogue between the main character and Lora. It was a little hard to relate when faith was mentioned, but this is a personal preference. There also seems to be a missing period before "Sometimes" on the first page. I read the official review but it did not alter my opinion.

First Ten review added on March 1, 2017, at 9:03 pm by psychopathycathy.

L_Therese

When I first saw this book, the gun on the cover was the first thing I noticed. While it is very informative as to the book's status as a Western novel and historical fiction, it is unappealing to me personally. The second relevant revelation I had was that this book is the third in a series. As I read the first ten pages, I wasn't thrilled. I felt like I was missing a lot of background on the characters, and the use of the word "haters" seemed very out of place. I'm not planning to finish.

First Ten review added on March 1, 2017, at 10:54 pm by L_Therese.

ZenaLei7

I usually don't like to read books like this one because I'm not interested in western novels. The sample was interesting but not enough for me to buy the book or even finish the book. I did not notice any major grammatical errors either.

First Ten review added on March 1, 2017, at 11:41 pm by ZenaLei7.

CataclysmicKnight

I love a good western, and it's a really underserved genre of writing in my opinion, so I was happy to sample this one. I do like that it's welcoming even to those who haven't read the first couple books, and the author really shows the aftermath of the main character being shot well, but I'm not really drawn in enough yet to purchase the book. There were also at least a couple errors so far that made me reread sentences.

First Ten review added on March 2, 2017, at 3:30 am by CataclysmicKnight.

ananya92

This book is a period fiction, set in Colorado, in the 'wild, wild west', in a manner of speaking. From the sample, it is evident that there is an underlying theme focusing on Christian faith and belief, which is very craftily woven into the storyline involving action and plot twists. The author's writing is engaging and storyline is interesting enough to carry the readers through to the end of the book. However, from the description and the official review, it is clear that this story, on the whole, is akin to a cowboy story and has a religious angle; therefore I think I'll give it a pass.

First Ten review added on March 2, 2017, at 7:20 am by ananya92.

SandraTWP-BRW

I really liked the cover for this book - the composition of layout of images. I also found the burly and reviews to present a story that sounded like it was a good read.

BAsed on my read of the first ten pages, I found the characters to be well presented. Because the plot of this book builds on a preceding story, the author includes conversations and reflections to bring new readers up to speed. This was handled very well. It didn't feel like a "summary," but rather a natural description of daily events and interactions. The same method is used effectively to introduce and flesh our characters that would be unfamiliar to new readers.

I noted no typographical or editorial errors at all.

I will not be reading the balance of the book at this time; I find no fault with it. Westerns are just not a genre that I am drawn to.

First Ten review added on March 2, 2017, at 8:40 am by SandraTWP-BRW.

Momlovesbooks

I'm not a huge fan of Westerns. The cover of this book clued me in to the genre. However, I enjoy historical fiction and the OBC reviewer wrote a very positive review. I read the first few pages. It appears to be well-edited with a good plot. The characters seem to fit with that time period. I could tell the author researched this era. However, I just couldn't get into this one; with my feelings about Westerns. I won't be reading it.

First Ten review added on March 2, 2017, at 4:52 pm by Momlovesbooks.

hsimone

Though the title is interesting, the fact that there is a gun on the cover would steer me away from this book. I typically do not read Westerns, and though there are positive reviews of this one, it is the third in the series; usually, I like to start a series from the beginning. Therefore, without this program I would not have sampled this book.

Based on what I read, the book does seem to be professionally edited. I think the opening can bring a reader right into the read; I'm curious about the time John was shot at that made him so scared to leave the house - why did it happen? However, I do feel the dialogue is a bit forced. This could be because I don't have previous knowledge of these two characters, John and Lora. Overall, I do not have further interest in learning about these two characters since I feel I will be partially lost while reading (with it being the third in the series). I do not plan on purchasing this book today for this reason.

First Ten review added on March 2, 2017, at 5:28 pm by hsimone.

anneloretrujillo

I would not have sampled this book without this program. I'm not really into historical fiction or western fiction. I also don't like reading series out of order. After reading the first ten pages, I won't be buying this book. The western aspect of it isn't for me. I think the story started to develop well, but it didn't pull me in. I also noticed a couple of errors. There seemed to be missing quotation marks in one spot and misplaced commas in a few others.

First Ten review added on March 2, 2017, at 10:51 pm by anneloretrujillo.

jungkookblog

The book seems very plain and non-interesting to me. It doesn't seem to appeal me from the cover and what I heard it's about. I am not going to be reading the book because the plot doesn't really appeal to me and it doesn't drag me into the book. The genre is also not what I really like to enjoy to read. It seems it was professionally edited. I did not see a review and I don't think it would affect my decision.

First Ten review added on March 3, 2017, at 1:18 am by jungkookblog.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it. I usually read romance books. Having read the sample, my opinion remains. I thought that the author described the meaning behind the title and the characters' thoughts well. However, while this could be a problem with the Amazon sample, the formatting was not uniform. The book seems professionally edited. It has a favorable onlinebookclub review. Since I prefer romance books, I will not be reading this book further.

First Ten review added on March 3, 2017, at 1:50 am by AA1495.

Cjgarland89

At first glance I was excited to sample this book. I have recently begun to enjoy westerns. The cover was appealing and very telling of the genre. After sampling I was underwhelmed by the contents. I understand it's part of a series, so maybe that's why I felt like I was missing something. I didn't see any grammatical errors. The OBC review had me convinced I would enjoy the book, but I won't be finishing it.

First Ten review added on March 3, 2017, at 6:53 am by Cjgarland89.

Total ~ 13%

This book earned a score of 13%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 13% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Riding For The Brand in their shelves?

More than 28 members have Riding For The Brand in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

Shelle

4-Star Shelf

Kdonegan91

Want To Read Shelf

mratdegraff91

Want To Read Shelf

tarafarah7

Want To Read Shelf

lydialeigh71

Want To Read Shelf

Elena_D

Want To Read Shelf