Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.0 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on August 22, 2016, at 2:58 pm by Rachaelamb1.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

Alligator John D:: My Testimony

by John Hudson

The First Ten

Because Alligator John D: was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

gali

I wouldn't have sampled the book on my own, as it isn't the type of book I'd normally read. The cover is very nice (I like the picture of the family), and the blurb concise and to the point. There is a stilted quality to the writing, but I was impressed with the author's passion for alligators. I won't buy the book as it isn't a subject that interests me. Also, autobiographies aren't my cup of tea.

First Ten review added on February 12, 2017, at 11:15 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Sarah_Khan

At first glance, the cover art and the title have me intrigued. The concept of this autobiography is incredibly interesting.
I really liked the dedication and the foreword. After reading the first ten pages, I can say that this book seems professionally edited and well-written. The Online Book Club review paints it in a good light. Unfortunately autobiographies are not my thing therefore I do not intend to buy it.

First Ten review added on February 12, 2017, at 1:24 pm by Sarah_Khan.

ZenaLei7

If I was deciding whether to read this book or not, the title would have been enough to convince me to read the whole book. Alligators are scary creatures and reading a book about someone who not only like alligators but has an alligator farm for a living seems to be a very interesting story to read. I also read the official online book club review which helped me to make the decision to read the entire book. The book seemed to contain a few grammar errors, but none were too distracting. For example, the author uses incorrect tenses saying was instead of were. After reading the first ten pages, I found myself getting to like the author more and more. The author mentions moving to Mobile, AL which is where I am from and he also comes from a big family which I can relate to since I'm from a big family. He also talked about the difficulties but also the joy of coming from a large family. There were many things in the book that were relatable which is the main reason why I am going to read the whole book.

First Ten review added on February 12, 2017, at 1:45 pm by ZenaLei7.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

Vermont Reviews

Today's book of the day Alligator John D: by John Hudson was a great preview of the biography of John Hudson. I thought that it was very well done. I did enjoy the preview. At this time I have too many books in my reading schedule and will not be downloading a copy of this book. Based on the preview that I did read I would have purchased a copy of the book. I liked the cover art as well.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on February 12, 2017, at 2:05 pm by Vermont Reviews.

Kdonegan91

I enjoy memoirs and this book has not disappointed me, so far. The sample is well-written and progressed nicely. Also, I like the author's style of writing. He has lived such a fascinating and humble life. I can't wait to read more about it! In addition, the title is unique and the cover is creative and eye-catching.

First Ten review added on February 12, 2017, at 3:04 pm by Kdonegan91.

James Craft

I noticed with this book that the front cover is a little weak and there were some grammatical issues. This was a problem that was pointed out in the online book club review but one which I noticed rather quickly when reading the opening. The cover feels like it was compressed down and doesn't make me want to read the story. All in all, I think the author should put some work in to make this a better package and entice more readers.

First Ten review added on February 12, 2017, at 3:11 pm by James Craft.

CrescentMoon

After reading the blurb, I don't think I would pick this book up. I'm not really a fan of reading non fiction books or memoirs. After reading the first ten pages, I won't read the rest. I think this book would appeal to people who enjoy reading about someone else's life. I personally was not engaged with the alligators and the whole story behind that. But I think others who like this genre would enjoy it.

First Ten review added on February 12, 2017, at 3:13 pm by CrescentMoon.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would not have read the book. I do love the cover, but the blurb seemed a little boring. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind. I felt like the story was interesting, but the writing style (especially the dialogue) seemed a little awkward. It was professionally edited and I did not read an official review, but this did not alter my viewpoint.

First Ten review added on February 12, 2017, at 4:24 pm by psychopathycathy.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it. I usually read romance or comedy books. Having read the sample, my opinion remains. I liked how the author introduced himself and his background. However, I thought that there were many details. The book seems professionally edited. It has a favorable Onlinebookclub review. While I'm sure fans of the genre will enjoy reading the book, I might not read it further now. I might read it in the future.

First Ten review added on February 12, 2017, at 5:35 pm by AA1495.

mratdegraff91

I was unsure about this book based on the cover and short description. I didn't think it was my type of book based on the genre. The OnlineBookClub review did spark my interest and helped me see a different side of the book. It did mention there were a few grammatical errors, but I did not notice any in sampling the book. The sample was very interesting. I was easily pulled into John D.'s character. This does seem like it will be a fascinating read. I will add this to my to-read list to come back to and finish later.

First Ten review added on February 12, 2017, at 6:24 pm by mratdegraff91.

jamesabr

This book was fascinating. If I were not a part of this program, I would have sampled it due to the positive review that it received on OnlineBookClub. The exposition was easy to read and flowed nicely from the start of the Introduction. My favorite part so far occurred when Hudson's father arrived home with a Model-T Ford because of the level of enthusiasm that the moment was written in. I could literally picture the excitement in the family! I will definitely purchase this book and read it. There were no typos or grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on February 12, 2017, at 10:37 pm by jamesabr.

anneloretrujillo

I would not have sampled this book based on the genre and OBC review. Autobiographies aren't really for me. After reading the first ten pages, I will not be buying this book. I'm sure the author had a great story to tell, but I couldn't get into it. The style just wasn't for me. It did seem to be professionally edited. This just isn't my type of book.

First Ten review added on February 12, 2017, at 11:54 pm by anneloretrujillo.

bookowlie

The Amazon summary is well written and gave me a good flavor of what the book is about. I can't say I was wowed by the cover. It has an old-fashioned feel. I wasn't too interested in getting the book after reading the beginning pages. The writing style is very choppy and a little flat, and seemed more suitable for a younger reader. As a result, I found it hard to becme absorbed in the story. Although the Official Review is very positive, I don't think this book is my cup of tea.

First Ten review added on February 13, 2017, at 1:04 am by bookowlie.

L_Therese

I found the basic premise of this book very intriguing. However, when I went to read the sample, I was disappointed by the writing itself. Like the OBC review warned, there were some mechanical errors. I noticed several punctuation errors, like forgetting the open-quotes before a sentence of dialogue. Also, the story-telling tone didn't work for me. Outdated phrases like "lady reporter" may be authentic to the author and his personal subculture (incorporating local norms as well as the time period in which he grew up), but they distract me from the story itself. I concluded that this book was not a good fit for me after all.

First Ten review added on February 13, 2017, at 2:34 am by L_Therese.

V_bansal2912

The cover of the book is interesting so maybe I would have picked the book once just to see what it is about. I am definitely going to continue reading the book as it sounds intriguing. I have always loved stories from 1900s, so reading about his childhood in 1900s and its challenges makes me want to continue reading and to know how he became Alligator John D.

First Ten review added on February 13, 2017, at 4:02 am by V_bansal2912.

Gravy

Memoirs are a fair portion of my reading, though I tend toward other subjects, so I doubt I would have looked at this. The writing was not to my taste. It felt more like a public speech than a conversation with a friend, which is what the best memoirs feel like. I believe that could be accomplished with a little tweaking.
The stories were interesting enough, but they would flow better with some sort of connection, a thread to weave them together, one into the next. Aside from that, I didn't notice any errors, and can see how this could interest others. However, it is not something I want to continue.

First Ten review added on February 13, 2017, at 5:02 am by Gravy.

SandraTWP-BRW

This is probably not a book that I would have selected to read. Because I lived in Florida for fourteen years, the cover had a familiar and very real feel to me. I’m not a big fan of alligators. I have a respect for them, but having seen them swim RIGHT up to my backyard, and knowing they eat people… They stir no warm and fuzzy feelings in me. I’m grateful for those who work with them, but am not interested in spending my free time reading about it.

That said - I fell in love with this book almost immediately. It’s a memoir, which is a genre I enjoy. More to the point, though, by my reckoning, the author is about ninety-five years old, and he starts his books with memories of his childhood. Life then was so different than now it almost reads as an alien experience, but there was so much joy in the difficult life of his family, the reader can’t help but be drawn in. I found no grammatical or editorial errors in the section of the book I have thus far read. This is definitely a book that not only will I complete reading, but will be recommending to others.

First Ten review added on February 13, 2017, at 8:22 am by SandraTWP-BRW.

klbradley

When I read the blurb for this book, I was actually surprised to learn that at 60 years old, the author is raising alligators. While they can be presumed to be some of the most deadly creatures, it seems that the author has a real talent with the way he is able to care for them. While it is so spectacular to hear, I'm not really a fan of non fiction, so I do not plan to continue the book.

First Ten review added on February 13, 2017, at 8:47 am by klbradley.

ashley_claire

Upon reading the blurb for this book, this is not a book I would normally pick up as the subject matter doesn't interest me. The cover art looks like it fits with the book. Because I'm not interested in the subject matter, I was surprised at how fast I read the first ten pages. I feel like the writing flows well and is easy to dive into. I enjoyed learning a bit about the author's childhood. I will not continue reading this book because I am not interested in reading about someone's religious experiences.

First Ten review added on February 13, 2017, at 10:20 am by ashley_claire.

hsimone

I like to read encouraging memoirs sometimes. However, due to the low amount of reviews and the title/cover, I most likely would not have sampled this read without this program. Based on what I read, the book does seem professionally edited. I really like the passion toward alligators the author portrays; it seems like he found his calling. When reading the beginning, I feel the author may have given a bit too much away about his business. Perhaps this should have been saved for a bit later in the text. Overall, I do not feel this is a read for me, and I do not plan on purchasing this book today.

First Ten review added on February 13, 2017, at 5:03 pm by hsimone.

jungkookblog

I don't think I will be reading this book because it's about taking care of alligators. They seem interesting, but not something I would take my time to read about. I am not going to be reading this book because of the whole plot and goal of the book. I don't think I would need this book because I won't be taking care of alligators any time soon. It seems very interesting and helpful though. It seems like it was professionally edited. I did not see a review, and I don't think it would've affected my decision.

First Ten review added on February 14, 2017, at 1:04 am by jungkookblog.

Cjgarland89

At first glance of this book I was excited to sample it. I'm not big into autobiographies but training alligators sounds awesome and I've never read anything about it. After sampling I will be finishing he book. I was able to dive right in and become interested in the story. I saw a few small grammar errors, but I think it was still professionally edited. I didn't see and OBC review but I don't think it would've made a difference.

First Ten review added on February 14, 2017, at 7:38 am by Cjgarland89.

Momlovesbooks

The title and cover caught my eye. After reading the OBC review, I was definitely interested. I read the first few pages and wanted to know more about this interesting man. I downloaded the book and will be reading it.

First Ten review added on February 14, 2017, at 9:14 am by Momlovesbooks.

Total ~ 35%

This book earned a score of 35%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 35% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Alligator John D: in their shelves?

21 members have Alligator John D: in their shelves.

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

saja713

Want To Read Shelf

ilovebooks2

Want To Read Shelf

DEBBIE SMITH

Want To Read Shelf

karatheredhead

Want To Read Shelf

Rachaelamb1

3-Star Shelf

Cjgarland89

Want To Read Shelf