Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 4.0 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on August 19, 2016, at 5:58 am by klbradley.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

ISBN: 9780993533327

The Sex Tourist

by Olivia Wild

The First Ten

Because The Sex Tourist was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Vermont Reviews

Today's preview of The Sex Tourist by Olivia Wild shows the main character Vivian who finds her sisters diary about her life of providing sex for money. After reading the preview and the reviews I did decide not to download the book. My reading schedule is too overbooked at this time. The author does do a great job of showing the readers what the life of someone who sells their body for money goes through.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on December 2, 2016, at 11:39 am by Vermont Reviews.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Sarah_Khan

To be honest, I would not have picked this up if it was not part of the First Ten program because it is not my type of book. After reading the blurb, I was surprised because although this is classified as an erotica, the plot line reads more as a crime/thriller novel, which is a good thing in my opinion.
After reading the first few pages, I was pleasantly surprised. This book is well-written and professionally edited. I really liked the foreword where the author explains that this is a true story based on the life of her friend, it made the story more interesting. I could see how this might appeal to fans of this genre or fans of crime novels that do not mind all the graphic scenes, but as I previously stated, this is not my cup of tea, therefore I do not intend to read the rest.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2016, at 11:48 am by Sarah_Khan.

bookowlie

The cover is eye-catching, but the font used for the subtitle is hard to read and fades into the background. The summary blurb is a little choppy with a line break after each sentence, but it gave me a good flavor of the plot. The sample pages appear to be edited although the story has a busy feel and I find it a little hard to become absorbed in the story. Also, it's not clear who the narrator is for the first several pages - Lillian or Vivian. Based on the sample, I am not too interested in reading further.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2016, at 11:49 am by bookowlie.

Rachel1019

From the title and the cover of this book, it seems pretty obvious that this book is going to be simply an erotic novel. What I was not expecting when I read the review on OBC was that this book is part erotic novel and part murder mystery novel. I would not have initially read this book, but after reading the review I was pleasantly intrigued with it. Then I read the prologue and it solidified my interest in the novel enough for me to want to continue reading it at some point.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2016, at 11:54 am by Rachel1019.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

hsimone

I would not have sampled this read on my own. Even though is a thriller, the fact that it involves much sexual scenes/encounters, according to the OBC review, that doesn't appeal to me. Based on what I read, the book does seem to be professionally edited. I like the topic in general because I feel there are some aspects of prostitution that I don't know about and this could teach me the lives of these women. Lilian seems like a likable and realistic character because even though she does this, it doesn't look like she enjoy it; I can't imagine many would. However, this book seems a bit too sad for me and I don't really like many sexual scenes in a book. Therefore, I will not be buying the book to finish reading it today.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2016, at 12:18 pm by hsimone.

gali

I wouldn't have sampled the book without the program, as it isn't my preferable genre. The cover is nice and the blurb concise and to the point. The book seems like a good book, especially as it is based on true events, but its subject matter is far too rough for me to handle. For that reason, I won't read the book. Also, I am not a fan of books that contain explicit sexual content and abuse. Based on the official review, it is an important read for those who can stomach such books. Alas, it isn't for me.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2016, at 3:32 pm by gali.

chocomeiske

At first look, this book looks like it belongs to the Erotica genre which I hardly ever read so if not for the First Ten Programme, I doubt that I would have taken a second look.
Having read the sample, I can see myself reading and enjoying this. Too often, we tend to shy away from events that don't directly affect us and I like that the author decided to share this story that is based on true events which lead to the death of here sororal twin sister, with the reading community.
I enjoyed the foreword the most because it addresses how society stigmatises these women indiscriminately, forgetting that not all of them are in this profession by choice. I think this will make for a very touching and confrontational read.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2016, at 4:49 pm by chocomeiske.

CrescentMoon

I think the cover is perfect for the book. It is very racy and sex-related which is fitting considering the erotic nature of the book. I actually think the blurb sounds very interesting so though I don't read books like this, I would pick it up. After reading the first ten pages, I am really impressed with the quality of writing and the research done. I think the author did a great job hooking the reader in. However, it is very graphic and blunt about the lives of prostitutes and reading stuff like this really puts me in a sad mood. These books are generally really hard for me to read and I can't really handle the intensity. So solely because of myself, I wouldn't read this book but I definitely think people who can stomach this stuff would find this book a good read.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2016, at 6:18 pm by CrescentMoon.

Gravy

This is not my type of book, so I wouldn't have looked at it.
There were some typos, but I expect those, even in a professionally edited book. I did have an issue with the twist. I don't feel it was set up well enough, but that could just be me.
Due to this not being my genre, I won't be reading it.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2016, at 11:26 pm by Gravy.

L_Therese

When I read the blurb and the review, I got a very different impression of the book than my initial thoughts on looking at the cover. I was concerned about the graphic sex and the violence, but the characters and plot could outshine the other darkness. When I read the sample, the first section was a bit confusing. The sudden change at the end threw me for a loop. I had to go back and re-read because I thought I might have missed something. Then I remembered the mention of time jumps and switches in the review, and I knew that I wouldn't be finishing the book.

First Ten review added on December 3, 2016, at 1:47 am by L_Therese.

psychopathycathy

If I had not sampled this book, I would have read it; the summary was very interesting and unique. After sampling the book, I have changed my mind. Although I loved the scenes and the straightforward writing style, I found myself very lost with the time jumps and the story so far felt like a collection of scenes, rather than a cohesive plotline. It was professionally edited, and my not reading a review did not affect my decision.

First Ten review added on December 3, 2016, at 1:50 am by psychopathycathy.

truebookaddict

Ordinarily, I would have quickly run the other way upon discovering that this book was classified as erotic fiction, as I am not a fan of the genre. However, upon reading the fantastic OBC review and reading more on the subject matter, I was convinced to give the sample a try.

After reading the sample, I bought it. I was blown away. The story is riveting.

This book is well-edited. I did not notice typos or grammatical errors.

Wow! That's all I can say. I read more than the ten pages because I couldn't stop reading. There's so much more here than just erotic fiction. Someone needs to get this reclassified because people are missing out on reading someting really good.

This book was insightfully reviewed on OBC.

First Ten review added on December 3, 2016, at 7:55 am by truebookaddict.

Kdonegan91

The cover and title spark my curiosity. After reading the sample and the OBC review, I can't wait to read this book. The sample flowed nicely and seemed professionally edited. A true story based on an erotic thriller is amazing! I could no think of a better combination!

First Ten review added on December 3, 2016, at 1:45 pm by Kdonegan91.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it. I usually prefer stand alone books. Having read the sample, I thought it was well written. I could sense Vivian's concern in the prologue. I thought the characters' thoughts were described well in the chapter. The book seems to be professionally edited. It has a favorable Onlinebookclub review. As the prologue states, the book has some detailed descriptions and hence, I will not be reading this book further.

First Ten review added on December 3, 2016, at 4:00 pm by AA1495.

Momlovesbooks

The title and description did not appeal to me. There was a warning about some parts being graphic. I read a few pages and felt I didn't have the stomach for this type of book. I won't be reading the rest.

First Ten review added on December 3, 2016, at 6:10 pm by Momlovesbooks.

jungkookblog

I did not want to read this because I am not into this genre. I am not going to buy the whole book because it's not what I love to read. It seems like it was professionally edited. I liked the details in the book. It was good. I did not see a review, and that has affected my decision.

First Ten review added on December 3, 2016, at 8:25 pm by jungkookblog.

anneloretrujillo

I probably would not have sampled this book based on the title and the genre. I really don't enjoy erotic novels. The OBC review did make it sound pretty interesting, however, so I had to base my decision on the sample. After reading the first ten pages, I was a little more interested, but not enough to buy the book. I got a little confused when I was reading it. I also know that erotic is not my style. Sometimes the story can distract me from that aspect, but I think this would be a book that takes work for me to enjoy, if that makes sense. At this point, I just need relaxing books. I do, however, think the concept behind it is super unique. I just don't think that this is the book for me. I will not be buying the book at this time.

First Ten review added on December 4, 2016, at 1:35 am by anneloretrujillo.

CataclysmicKnight

There was no way I'd have tried this one if it wasn't a book of the day - I'm not into explicit adult scenes and I'm picky about romance in general. Giving the Amazon "about the book" section, however, pointed out that this was a mystery/suspense novel with a twist, so I was willing to give it a try. The book is perfectly edited and enjoyable to read, but this topic is just too much for me to handle to finish it.

First Ten review added on December 4, 2016, at 2:58 am by CataclysmicKnight.

Cjgarland89

At first glance I would not have sampled this book without the program. Even after sampling I don't think this is the book for me. It has a great undertone message about the horrid acts of illegal sex trafficking, but that topic always made me uneasy and I find it disturbing to read about sexual assaults and abuse. The author has a great writing style and the sample is free of errors. With or without an OBC review my opinion would not have changed.

First Ten review added on December 4, 2016, at 3:16 am by Cjgarland89.

amybo82

Based on the book's description and reviews, I would not have chosen it to read because I do not like to read books with explicit sex scenes, especially those that might get violent in nature. I did not see a review from the Online Book Club that might have swayed me to read the book. After sampling the book, I have decided that I will not be reading it. While it is extremely fast paced and very well written, the explicit scenes are just too much for me. The book seems like it was professionally edited. I think there are many people who would enjoy this book!

First Ten review added on December 4, 2016, at 8:29 am by amybo82.

Total ~ 15%

This book earned a score of 15%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 15% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has The Sex Tourist in their shelves?

More than 28 members have The Sex Tourist in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

klbradley

4-Star Shelf

queeennnkatie

Want To Read Shelf

Theotherman

Want To Read Shelf

Lauren M

Want To Read Shelf

ortiz1988c

Want To Read Shelf

Noel

Want To Read Shelf