Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.6 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on August 17, 2016, at 8:56 am by e-tasana-williams.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

Bishop's War

by Rafael Amadeus Hines

The First Ten

Because Bishop's War was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

gali

I wouldn't have sampled the book on my own, as this is not a book I would normally read. The cover is lovely and the blurb intriguing. However, the official review really had me hooked. The sample started really well, with the chilling revenge of the crime boss, and pretty soon I found myself immersed in the tale. I found the blurb interesting and well written, but sometimes the font became too small to read. Military suspense thrillers aren't my usual read, but the sample really pulled me in. Consequently, I will read the balance of the book eventually.

First Ten review added on April 8, 2017, at 10:06 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

bookowlie

The cover artwork is eye-catching and it made me want to find out more about the book. The well-written summary blurb gave me a clear idea of what the plot is about. Unfortunately, I don't care for reading books with terrorist themes. That being said, the sample pages appears to be professionally edited and the author has a nice writing style. Although I am not interested in reading the rest of this book, I can see other readers enjoying it.

First Ten review added on April 8, 2017, at 11:29 am by bookowlie.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

jamesabr

This book managed to surprise me. I expected cliche military magic, but I enjoyed the sample because it was the opposite. If I were not a part of the First Ten program, I would have sampled this book due to the Online Book Club review of it. My favorite part of Bishop's War was Clayton's memory of his father on the second page. This moment managed to provide exposition into Clayton's mindset and past without being pushy. I will purchase and read this book. There were no typos or grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on April 8, 2017, at 12:42 pm by jamesabr.

Vermont Reviews

What a great story. The start of today's book of the day preview with Sgt. John Bishop and his cousin Felix ending up in prison on the way to John's homecoming party. John and Felix's history go way back. I had to download the book. Rafael Amadeus Hines is a wonderful storyteller. With his descriptions he puts the reader in the middle of the action. I have added this one at the top of my 2017 reading list.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on April 8, 2017, at 2:43 pm by Vermont Reviews.

CrescentMoon

After reading the blurb, I don't think I would pick this book up because I have read similar stories before. I am looking for more different and original reads. However, after reading the first ten pages, this book does seem really action packed and fun for those who like this kind of genre. So although I think people who enjoy this kind of storyline would get a kick out of it, it's not for me.

First Ten review added on April 8, 2017, at 2:52 pm by CrescentMoon.

Sarah_Khan

At first glance, I thought the cover looked cool and professional. The premise sounds exciting and the Online Book club review certainly painted this novel in a good light. After reading the first few pages, I can say that this book is professionally edited and well-written. I'm not necessarily a fan of action books, since they all seem too alike. Therefore, I do not intend to read the rest of this book.

First Ten review added on April 8, 2017, at 2:58 pm by Sarah_Khan.

James Craft

This one has an amazing cover and definitely captures my attention. The blurb is well-written and the concept seems really good. It also got a good review from OBC so this one excites me right away as free. However, the opening of the book didn't manage to capture my attention quite as much as I would have liked so I won't be continuing to read this one right now. I might come back to it later but for now not really interested.

First Ten review added on April 8, 2017, at 3:12 pm by James Craft.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it. I usually prefer to read romance books. Having read the sample, my opinion remains. While the plot seemed interesting, I thought that some descriptions were excessive. The book seems professionally edited. The book has a positive onlinebookclub review. Since I do not read the genre usually, I will not be reading the book further.

First Ten review added on April 8, 2017, at 7:09 pm by AA1495.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would not have read the book. It does not seem like my cup of tea in terms of genre. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind, because of the same reason. I did like how the author wrote the main character's thoughts - it allowed for a stronger connection. The official review did not change my mind much, though I was interested in the "psychopath" character. The sample was professionally edited.

First Ten review added on April 8, 2017, at 9:35 pm by psychopathycathy.

Scerakor

The cover, blurb, and reviews for this book logged extremely good and had I been exposed to the novel before the first ten program, I would have seriously considered reading the book. It sounded action packed and right up my alley with respect to content. After reading the first ten pages, I was not disappointed. Although the beginning was mostly setting the scene, I can definitely tell that this book is well written and edited. I loved the character build up in the first few pages which sets the stage for the rest of the book. I will probably read the rest of this book based on the first ten pages I have read. The official OBC review, although very positive, did not affect my final decision.

First Ten review added on April 8, 2017, at 10:06 pm by Scerakor.

Shreyoshi Sen

The review was quiet helpful for me in decidingeneral whether I should buy this book or not. I don't generally read stories on war as they are very depressing. I loved John's charaster but still I am not going to buy this book.

First Ten review added on April 8, 2017, at 10:43 pm by Shreyoshi Sen.

CataclysmicKnight

I'm always up for a good military-themed book as long as it's got a good plot as well, and that definitely seems to be the case here. The first ten pages have set one wild scene with some tension and I'm crazy curious what'll happen after the torture is done. The 700(!!) reviews on Amazon and perfect 4/4 OBC review are stellar also, and with the book being free I definitely can't see passing up reading the rest.

First Ten review added on April 8, 2017, at 11:03 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

Pilar Guerrero

The cover of this book is creative and attractive to the eye. The descriptions in the novel are excellent, both about the places the character are in, as well as the psychological descriptions of the characters. Despite the good review and the positive points I describe, I would not buy this book because it contains violent and gory scenes.

First Ten review added on April 8, 2017, at 11:04 pm by Pilar Guerrero.

Amagine

The cover of the book has a strong feel to it that it will draw readers to it. The cover succeeds in getting a reader's attention. The story seems like it will be interesting to its target audience. Unfortunately,this isn't a genre, I normally read.

First Ten review added on April 8, 2017, at 11:13 pm by Amagine.

ananya92

From the first page, it is evident that this book is not for faint-hearted. There are plenty of gory scenes in the book, but what really put me off was the cold-blooded precision with which the violence is described. Also, the fact that the supposedly positive characters could commit such disgusting acts, didn't settle well with me. On the upside, the book has been edited properly, and the author's writing style is vivid and engaging. The book possesses a high degree of thrill and a good number of adrenaline charged scenes, to make this book an engrossing action thriller. The well-written review was helpful in deciding whether to peruse this book or not. Though I liked the author's work, I'm not a fan of gore; therefore, I'll pass on this one.

First Ten review added on April 9, 2017, at 3:25 am by ananya92.

Gravy

This isn't my kind of book, so I wouldn't have looked at it, and am not going to read it. I was impressed by the number of positive reviews. The writing is enjoyable, and I can see why the premise would appeal to many readers. Overall, everything seemed edited pretty well. There were a few errors, some missing words, and an instance of incorrect pluralization. Nothing too surprising.

If this were more to my taste I'd likely read it, but as it's not I won't be reading it. I would likely recommend it to fans of the genre.

First Ten review added on April 9, 2017, at 7:38 am by Gravy.

Momlovesbooks

The description of this book was well-written and would grab the attention of anyone interested in war/thrillers. I enjoy a good spy novel, but this one sounded like too much war. I thought it wouldn't be my type of book. I read the first few pages and quickly changed my mind. The author has a descriptive writing style that flows effortlessly. I can tell that the main character will be complex and well-developed. I downloaded this book and will be adding it to my list of books to read.

First Ten review added on April 9, 2017, at 9:56 am by Momlovesbooks.

chocomeiske

I do like a good political thriller now and again and this does appeal to me. I read the first ten pages and I was immediately drawn in and wanting to read more. This is a professionally edited book in my opinion and the writing style is immersive. I'm looking forward to adding this to my TBR.

First Ten review added on April 9, 2017, at 1:56 pm by chocomeiske.

dhomespot

I think I will read this book in its entirety as soon as I get caught up on my backlog of chores. Professionally edited and reviewed, the first 10 pages drew me in and made me want to shove other obligations aside to finish the story. I would like to say that I would have read the book even without the review, but that just reinforced my desire to dig in.

First Ten review added on April 9, 2017, at 8:01 pm by dhomespot.

klbradley

I liked the cover of this book immediately, it reminds me of others I have enjoyed from this genre. Thrillers are always my go-to favorites, so when I see that word in a description, I tend to look closely to see what's being offered. I liked how within the first ten pages, the story jumped straight into introducing Clayton rather than leaving you wondering who and what this would even be about. I can tell this could be one I would probably enjoy, but I have several books that I have recently added to my to-read list. I'm going to pass for now, just because I have too many planned at this time.

First Ten review added on April 9, 2017, at 10:11 pm by klbradley.

anneloretrujillo

I would have sampled this book without this program based on the genre and OBC review. I don't usually read anything related to the military or war, but this seemed interesting. After reading the first ten pages, I won't be finishing this book. I didn't like the military feel to it very much. The terminology threw me off a bit. I also didn't like that there was a completely different font for thoughts. It did seem to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on April 9, 2017, at 11:51 pm by anneloretrujillo.

hsimone

The cover seems very patriotic, but the title is a bit confusing on how it relates to the cover. I am not a big fan of action-packed novels; I don't mind some action scenes, but if it a read that has one action scene after the other, then I'm afraid I can't read such a book. Though, I am impressed with the book's over seven-hundred reviews and more being positive. The OBC reviewer also enjoyed the book, however, the reviewer does mention that there is a fair number of gory/graphic scenes, which I also don't favor. Therefore, I would not have sampled the read on my own.

Based on what I read, the book does seem to professionally edited. Toward the beginning, it seemed as if the main character is likable and one that will be developed well, which is always important in any read. However, my interest isn't piqued, at this point. It seems very military based and this is a topic I seldom enjoy. Therefore, I do not plan on finishing this read.

First Ten review added on April 10, 2017, at 6:36 am by hsimone.

Cjgarland89

I was immediately interested in this book because the cover is awesome and the genre is one of my favorites. Upon reading the sample I was hooked with the crime boss and it was almost impossible to stop after ten pages. I will definitely be finishing this one. The OBC review had me hooked as well and only added to my enthusiasm. I didn't see any errors in the sample.

First Ten review added on April 10, 2017, at 6:46 am by Cjgarland89.

MarisaRose

When I first heard about "Bishop's War" I wasn't sure it was a book I would really care for. Military thrillers have never really been my favorite genre. After reading the positive OBC and Amazon reviews, I felt I had to at least give this book a chance. The beginning sample is very well written. The narrative flow and pacing held my attention throughout the sample. I can see how this book would appeal to fans of the genre. However, I still do not believe the overall content of the book is to my liking. I will not be finishing the book. I did not notice any editorial issues in the beginning sample.

First Ten review added on April 10, 2017, at 6:56 am by MarisaRose.

L_Therese

This probably wasn't going to e a book I'd end up reading. It sounded exciting, but I'm not typically drawn to violent books for recreational reading. The gun on the cover was not inviting for me. As I read the first ten pages, I was a bit put off by the opening gun discussion, and then the scene shifted into apparently a torture scene. There was no way I was going to continue. This is not for me.

First Ten review added on April 10, 2017, at 7:07 am by L_Therese.

Total ~ 36%

This book earned a score of 36%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 36% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Bishop's War in their shelves?

More than 28 members have Bishop's War in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

e-tasana-williams

4-Star Shelf

Jories4

Want To Read Shelf

Adhen Surrain

Currently Reading Shelf

Gcolton60

Want To Read Shelf

Kansiime Grace

Want To Read Shelf

ABDULEAHMAN SAIED AB

Want To Read Shelf