Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 2.4 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on August 17, 2016, at 12:33 am by GKCfan.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

The Compulsive Move

by Phillip Cornell

The First Ten

Because The Compulsive Move was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

James Craft

The formatting of this book is purely put together and the indentation is considerably further than it should be in the opening pages. There is also an all caps part that sort of turned me off to it, feeling like a lazy way to try and get a point across. That being said, the story seems interesting and I'm sure many people would enjoy reading it. The blurb is good, getting the point across without a read more button, but the cover isn't very appealing. I didn't think I would want to read this from the book cover, and reading the opening pages definitely didn't change my opinion.

First Ten review added on January 21, 2017, at 10:18 am by James Craft.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

jamesabr

The sample I read of this book was a bit tedious. I would have sampled this book based on the blurb it received on Facebook about it being “inspiring”, but I regret that I have. The book’s first chapter drags on about Kevin’s position as a Stock Associate and what his job entails. This made the chapter boring, and should be more concise and to-the-point of what it is about. I will not purchase and buy this book, because, as I have said, it was a bit tedious. There were no typos or grammatical errors in the first ten pages.

First Ten review added on January 21, 2017, at 10:49 am by jamesabr.

gali

I probably wouldn't have sampled the book without the program, as it isn't my preferable genre. The cover is nice and the blurb concise. Reading the (very short) sample and the official review made me realize that the book isn't for me. I didn't connect to the writing and did not find the life of Kevin interesting. Also, there was too much telling instead of showing. It seems like an inspiring book about realizing dreams, alas it isn't my cup of tea.

First Ten review added on January 21, 2017, at 11:44 am by gali.

cjohns105

The concept of this book provides an interesting take on the whole experience of making a big change in ones life. It takes something that might only fill up part of a chapter in a coming-of-age novel, and puts it under a microscope for more thorough observation. That being said, the first ten pages of the sample do little to establish any reason why I should care that Kevin is deciding to make this change. As someone who has held similar positions to what Kevin's job is I can empathize, but there is nothing that would making me want to pay more attention to him than any other stock person who wants to get out of Dodge.

The blurb actually makes it sound like an interesting exploration, so it is possible that I might get the sample if I came across it. However, after reading the first ten pages I would not buy the rest of the book. There was no Official Online Book Club review that I could find, and in this case that would have been a helpful insight to have. The book seems to be professionally edited, though there were a few small mistakes. I think I can appreciate the way the book is being set up, but currently there is nothing at the beginning that draws me in enough to continue reading.

First Ten review added on January 21, 2017, at 12:35 pm by cjohns105.

Sarah_Khan

At first glance, the cover art of this novel is intriguing. I thought the blurb was very vague and it not give me enough of an idea of the plot.
After reading the first ten pages, I can say that this book seems professionally edited and well-written, but that is all I can say. Nothing in the beginning caught my interest and I am still not quite sure what this book is about, therefore I do not intend to read the rest of this novel.

First Ten review added on January 21, 2017, at 12:41 pm by Sarah_Khan.

Vermont Reviews

The Compulsive Move by Phillip Cornell today's choice for book of the day shows the main character Kevin who is a stock clerk at a shoe store in a mall. Kevin is sometimes required to also be on the floor acting as a salesman. The store manager Clay had high expectations for each employee. While I enjoyed the preview, I will not be downloading the book. My reading schedule is currently overbooked. Based on the preview I would have bought the book.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on January 21, 2017, at 1:24 pm by Vermont Reviews.

Kdonegan91

I enjoy a book that contains realistic characters. However, the sample progressed a little too slowly for me. The OBC review informed me the entire book progressed at a leisurely pace. Therefore, I will not be purchasing this book.

First Ten review added on January 21, 2017, at 4:07 pm by Kdonegan91.

CrescentMoon

I don't think I would read this book after reading the blurb. I have read many books like this where people try to fulfill their dreams so I'm looking for more different reads. After reading the first ten pages, I think people would enjoy how relatable the character Kevin is. However, I don't think I will be reading the rest.

First Ten review added on January 21, 2017, at 4:23 pm by CrescentMoon.

L_Therese

The cover of this book wasn't exactly eye-catching for me, and it told me very little about the book's content. I probably would have never given it a second thought. When I went to read the sample, I found a number of errors in the very first paragraph. There were three wrong words, two sentence fragments, and one term that should have been hyphenated rather than written as two words. No matter how good the rest of the first ten pages could be (and to me, the rest of that sampling was less than intriguing- I didn't care at all whether or not Kevin is a salesperson), there was no way I would purchase a book that was so poorly edited.

First Ten review added on January 21, 2017, at 5:05 pm by L_Therese.

Shelle

The cover and blurb looked interesting and I was glad to have the opportunity to sample this book. I appreciated the author's perspective and think the main character could be relatable. However the choppy sentences made for an awkward read. There were also glaring errors even on the first page leading me to believe this book has not been professionally edited.

First Ten review added on January 21, 2017, at 5:54 pm by Shelle.

chocomeiske

This cover doesn't speak to me at all so it would not have attracted my attention if not for this program. I read the sample and I can say it was enlightening since I never thought about what working in a stock room would be like; it does sound quite complicated. That being said, I didn't think the sample was intriguing emough to make me want to read the rest of the book. I can't recall any editing issues within the sample.

First Ten review added on January 21, 2017, at 6:31 pm by chocomeiske.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would not have read the story. The cover is great, but the blurb seemed very boring. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind. The book was PACKED with grammatical errors. In the first paragraph, it should be: "his mind WANDERED" (not wondered), "One WHERE people did not..." (not were), and "A life WHERE people were" (not were). The writing overall seemed overly simple and awkward. I did not read an official review.

First Ten review added on January 21, 2017, at 9:14 pm by psychopathycathy.

CataclysmicKnight

First off, I almost definitely wouldn't have checked this one out if it wasn't a book of the day - the Amazon description is a bit vague and, while I prefer short books like this, it didn't seem like enough to explore much story. Also, with the book feeling very nonfiction, it would be nice to know whether this is fiction or not. As for the reading, the book is incredibly relatable (I've worked at a Walmart and a Kmart in addition to other jobs that mostly rely on customer service). I could 100% see my past jobs linking up with what I was reading... in some places. In others, like a full-time college student taking buses an hour and a half each way to a part time job were a little hard to believe. I ended up reading the entire sample, but don't see finishing the book. Finally, while I haven't read the whole book yet, the "compulsive" in the title threw me a bit; "impulsive" seems like it would fit a bit better.

First Ten review added on January 21, 2017, at 9:34 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it. I usually read romance books. Having read the sample, I liked how the author introduced the characters. Further, I like the themes of the book. The book seems to be professionally edited. It has a favorable onlinebookclub review. However, the sample did not make me curious enough to want to read further. Hence, I will not be reading this book further.

First Ten review added on January 21, 2017, at 11:51 pm by AA1495.

dhwanis

If I had not read the first 10 pages, I would not have picked the book as I did not find the cover attractive. Also, I will not be reading the book further as I found the pace of the story a bit slow. I felt the narration went a bit too much in detail in the unnecessary places which could have been avoided.

First Ten review added on January 22, 2017, at 5:49 am by dhwanis.

Rachaelamb1

The cover looks good though I originally thought it was a non-fiction book. I appreciate short, inspiring books and would normally choose to read a book like this. I did not care for the sample. It has way too much explanation about the main character's job which makes the begining of the story rather boring. It does not seem to be professionally edited. In the first paragraph alone, I saw two errors. It should be wandered instead of wondered and where instead of were. There was also another spot where I saw the where/were mistake. The OBC book review was positive, but because I didn't like the sample, I will not be buying this book.

First Ten review added on January 22, 2017, at 6:05 am by Rachaelamb1.

Gravy

I would not have looked at this book, owing to it being completely outside of what I normally read.
I did notice a few poor word choices, if not actual errors. The fact that this is only a little over 50 pages, and the entire sample was an education in how to stock shelves, I can't say that my opinion was changed. For it describing Kevin's job in such detail (and considering that he's a stock boy in a shoe store), it actually held my interest. It was believably written, and formed a nice connection with the protagonist, but was just not enough to convince me to read it. I see why others would, however, and would likely recommend it.

First Ten review added on January 22, 2017, at 7:52 am by Gravy.

bookowlie

I am fairly neutral about this book after reading the Amazon summary and seeing the cover. While the blurb appears to be edited well, the explanation of the story was a little general and didn't really interest me. I also thought it was a little overdone to write "A Must Read" on the cover. The beginning pages contain a few noticeable errors, including ones on the first page - "his mind wondered" instead of "his mind wandered and the continued use of "were" instead of "where." I found it hard to get absorbed in the story since the writing is a little awkward at times and doesn't flow well. I had expected to like the sample more, considering that a reliable reviewer enjoyed the book.

First Ten review added on January 22, 2017, at 9:11 am by bookowlie.

mratdegraff91

I love the cover of this book it draws me in and makes me curious about the storyline. The blurbs and OnlineBookClub review make me even more interested. After sampling the book though I was a little letdown. It goes into great detail about the main character's, Kevin, work immediately after starting the book. It seems a bit too detailed for me.

First Ten review added on January 22, 2017, at 3:08 pm by mratdegraff91.

anneloretrujillo

I might have sampled this book based on the title, genre, blurb and OBC review. After reading the first ten pages, I will not be buying this book. I noticed two errors on the first page in the first paragraph. The word "were" was used instead of "where." This happened twice in that paragraph. After seeing this, I was automatically disinterested. Whether or not a book is properly edited is a big part of my decision to read a book because the errors distract me from the story. I also wasn't a fan of the style of writing. It was very simple with sentences that were all about the same length. It made the book almost monotone. This isn't the book for me.

First Ten review added on January 22, 2017, at 3:59 pm by anneloretrujillo.

Momlovesbooks

The OBC reviewer gave this book 3 stars. There were a few concerns, but the reviewer liked the book, overall. I went into this one with no strong opinion. I read a few pages and couldn't get into the story. I couldn't connect with the main character and not much action occurred during the pages I read. I won't be reading the remainder of this one.

First Ten review added on January 22, 2017, at 5:04 pm by Momlovesbooks.

hsimone

The cover could be a bit more appealing, and I don't feel the title needs an exclamation point. I do like how concise the blurb is and the general concept of the book. Though, there aren't that many reviews. Therefore, I would not have sampled this read without this program.

Based on what I read, the book could use another round of editing. For instance, within the first page, the word 'were' was used a couple of times when it should be 'where'. I like how Kevin's job situation seems relatable to others. However, the usage of numbers as numbers instead of words (i.e. '4' instead of 'four') is a bit distracting for me. Overall, this seems like an interesting short read, and I will plan on finishing it.

First Ten review added on January 22, 2017, at 7:17 pm by hsimone.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

Cjgarland89

At first glance I wasn't interested in the book. The cover is plain and doesn't have much to offer. The OBC review wasn't glowing and didn't seem to be a very thrilling review of the book. After sampling I can see that there has to be a strong "point" or moral to the story but it just seemed very drab from the beginning. I won't be finishing the story. I didn't see any errors but the writing felt rushed almost, like someone that's trying to tell you a lot of information very quickly.

First Ten review added on January 22, 2017, at 10:07 pm by Cjgarland89.

jungkookblog

I don't think I would read this book because the plot doesn't seem like my cup of tea. I am not going to read this book because it's very confusing, the plot is hard to understand. It seems like it was professionally edited. I liked the detail it gave though. I did not see a review, and it wouldn't affect my decision.

First Ten review added on January 23, 2017, at 12:41 am by jungkookblog.

MarisaRose

After reading the blurb for "The Compulsive Move," it was hard to tell what genre this book falls into. I was unsure what to make of the book, so for that reason, I would not have chosen to read the book if not for this program. After sampling the beginning of the story, I was a little put off by the narrative perspective. I disliked that there was so little action. The beginning read pretty boring ... "Kevin's job was this... his responsibilities were that." It didn't hold my attention or excite me at all. I did not see any errors in the portion I sampled. I will not be finishing this book.

First Ten review added on January 23, 2017, at 7:43 am by MarisaRose.

truebookaddict

Had I not sampled this book as part of this program, I would not have chosen to sample/read this book. I generally do not bother with short books (less than 100 pages), unless it's a self-help or guide type of book.

I will not buy and read the whole book. The price is above my eBook spending limit and the short 59 pages makes me feel it's not worth the money. I also found the first ten pages rather mundane.

This book could use some editing. There are several instances in the first ten pages of using were for where, and vice versa.

As I said above, I found the first ten pages to be rather mundane. I'm sure many of us have worked a job such as Kevin did. We know first hand about the tedious and menial nature of such a job. To have it described duty by duty and task by task was really rather boring. If I could offer any suggestions for improvement it would be to extend the length of the book and get to the meat of the story more quickly.

This book was officially reviewed on OBC.

First Ten review added on January 23, 2017, at 8:51 am by truebookaddict.

Total ~ 4%

This book earned a score of 4%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 4% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has The Compulsive Move in their shelves?

27 members have The Compulsive Move in their shelves.

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

DreamerGal522

Want To Read Shelf

GKCfan

3-Star Shelf

mindyg123

3-Star Shelf

tarafarah7

Want To Read Shelf

lydialeigh71

Want To Read Shelf

meltbanana

Want To Read Shelf